Re: Found unknown port mapping to port 59 in router, advise requested

From: Juergen Nieveler (
Date: 03/02/03

From: Juergen Nieveler <>
Date: 2 Mar 2003 09:30:23 GMT

"John Schneider" <> wrote:

> I found an some IPROUTES in my router I did not create and that I do
> not understand. I found a port mapping to a workstation for port 59.
> I also found an IP ROUTE to some public IPs I do not recognize for
> port 59. What can/should I do?

First: Change the password on the router. Immediately.

Second: Replace the user workstation, and make sure the user cannot
install software on it

Third: Examine the workstation you took from the user for any unknown

Juergen Nieveler
Support the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide:
"The people united can never be ignited!"- Sgt. Colon, Ankh-Morpork Watch / / PGP Supported!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Using Remote Desktop From an SBS Domain
    ... when you tried to RDP while attached directly to a port on your router? ... So if 3389 needs forwarded on the client end too then that is what the ... Hopefully next week I can attempt a connection while my ISP watches the ...
  • Re: Cost of setting up a network
    ... A router capable of acting as a VPN endpoint for more than one user simultaneously with four Ethernet ports or a switch to suit. ... The rationale for using a server here is basically that the router doesn't need to be able to decide which PC to route the connection to. ... If you are using a router which supports it, you can set up a port-forwarding inbound rule which also _translates_ the port supplied to the receiving port. ... You can use several of these connections to different machines simultaneously. ...
  • How did they get behind my NAT?
    ... this point I panicked and shutdown the VNC service ASAP. ... My question is how the attacker got to my VNC port! ... the internet through the router. ... client connection using local port number 5900 (which was also being ...
  • Re: Connecting to Home Computer
    ... cannot transmit IP packets outside the local network). ... assigned by your router. ... You have to add the port too, ... Determine the ports (pcAnywhere uses 5631 for DATA, 5632 for STATUS, I ...
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls
    ... connections between multiple computers. ... A Linksys NAT router box is selling for only $40 at Amazon ... Besides protecting against the MSBlaster worm, a hardware ... Then the user finds about port forwarding, and as soon as the user ...