Re: File on disk in linux (encrypted?)

From: Barry Margolin (barmar@genuity.net)
Date: 12/18/02

From: Barry Margolin <barmar@genuity.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:34:50 GMT

In article <d2f25cc8c3b184e6ab07676f8524371a.96960@mygate.mailgate.org>,
Sachin Garg <schngrg@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Is a file on disk (in linux) encrypted or not?

Unless you're using a special encrypting file system driver, I wouldn't
expect it to be.

>I think it should be as if it is not encrypted, it can be accessed using
>low level disk I/O, thus failing the whole security mechanism.

You need to have either superuser permission or physical access to the
drive to do this. Most computer security mechanisms are not intended to
protect against such cases.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

  • Re: File on disk in linux (encrypted?)
    ... > Unless you're using a special encrypting file system driver, ... >>low level disk I/O, thus failing the whole security mechanism. ... How can I protect myself from such attacks? ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: File on disk in linux (encrypted?)
    ... > Unless you're using a special encrypting file system driver, ... >>low level disk I/O, thus failing the whole security mechanism. ... How can I protect myself from such attacks? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: "secure" file flag?
    ... Encrypting data and secure removal of data are orthogonal and in case ... I'd use encyption at the disk block level to protect sensitive ... > But why would somebody trying to steal your data run fsck on it? ... This is not meant as protection in case power is removed and the disk ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: wipe /dev/sda
    ... Do you do regular ... Is your working data encrypted? ... And, if encrypting, are thinking it all through? ... the disk stored your data and didn't cheat, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: FUD about CGD and GBDE
    ... And Roland made the algorithm you use for encrypting your disk ... isn't someone cracking AES but key management issues. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)