Re: sounds like "damage control" to me... (Was: Wallwatcher IS NOT spyware.....MY ERROR!!!)

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews@hansenonline.net)
Date: 12/18/02

From: Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:07:52 GMT

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:07:59 GMT, g e e k . t r a g e d y spoketh

>On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:18:05 GMT, "igama" <igama@aol.net> wrote:
>
>>I made a naive interpretation of data and I apologize to Wallwatcher
>>developer for my mistaken prevous postings.
>>I have verifed that WW DOES NOT initiate any internet traffic whatsoever and
>>in fact is very helpful in discovering and identfying spyware and other
>>suspicious activity.
>>
>>Again, my sincerest apologies to Wallwatcher and their very credible
>>developers.
>>
>well... taking into account the way this same message has been spammed
>verbatim to several different newsgroups today, sometimes under other
>posting names besides "igama", (such as the name "alpha"), my wildest
>guess would be that wallwatcher *is indeed spyware and that its
>"credible" developer has been attempting to perform some "damage
>control".
>
>good try, bucko...

I have reviewed the code of WallWatcher, and there is nothing in the
code to establish an outbound connection anywhere. The only networking
code in WallWatcher is the piece that listens on the SNMPtrap port to
receive the messages from the router.

I have no relationship with the WallWatcher product or programmers.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
(replace 'badnews' with 'lars' in e-mail address)

Relevant Pages