Re: credit card security -no padlock

From: John Elsbury (johne@snospam.sovereign.co.nz)
Date: 11/19/02

From: johne@snospam.sovereign.co.nz (John Elsbury)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:09:24 GMT

On 18 Nov 2002 13:47:23 -0800, jwrussell70@hotmail.com
(dazedandconfused) wrote:

<snip>

>It all looks kosher on the front-end, but you have absolutely no idea
>what happens to your credit card information beyond that. It could be
>mailed out in the clear to someone or stored in a database that's not
>adequately protected from hackers.

<snip>

True, but are you not overstating the risk? Every time I use my
credit card *anywhere* I am running the risk that some bad person may
capture the card details and then use that information to attempt to
pay for goods. Fortunately, if that happens, I just have to tell my
issuer that I dispute the transaction and they, in turn, tell the
retailer to provide proof that the card was present when the
transaction was carried out. If they can't, then the money gets
clawed back and my account gets credited. I don't see internet
purchasing as being more risky *to me* than in-store purchasing.

The worst that can happen, surely, if your card details are
compromised in a big way is that you would have to cancel that card
and get another one issued on a different account. This is thoroughly
inconvenient, of course.

>I have one credit card dedicated to online purchases and just make it
>habit to check the card activity online on a weekly basis.

That seems an excellent idea.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Microsoft $35.00 Paid Support Experience
    ... First tech support said that installing the card would automatically ... that the credit card company would not find in HP's favor. ... So I went through he same story again and he suggested a REPAIR. ... material that is already on the Microsoft web site. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Thunderbird just selfdestructed
    ... My wife and I have only one credit card and she reviews alternatives ... I could get $25 cash, but that was bait-and-switch, I ... for Costco, does send a check annually that can be ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Good credit card users to get ultrareamed
    ... Credit card agreements are written on average at a 12th grade reading ... Card issuers have long found their bread and butter in penalty fees ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Tis (Almost) the Season to be Jolly
    ... For several years in the 1960's and 1970's I was employed by the Amoco ... Oil Company in its central credit card operation in downtown Chicago. ... Diners had always been located in New York City, ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Re: The Federal Reserve should take over checking services from private banks
    ... matter) faces and that is fractional banking and credit card fees. ... Presently whenever you purchase something online or use your debit card ... a check to person B who Banks with Bank2 for 10K. ...
    (sci.econ)