Re: credit card security -no padlock

From: Alun Jones (alun@texis.com)
Date: 11/18/02

From: alun@texis.com (Alun Jones)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:54:06 GMT

In article <3DD84028.B71CE789@yahoo.com>, Tracker
<TheTrackers111REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>"A.Z" wrote:
>> I was just about to provide my credit card number for the purchase of
>> a product when I recalled that I should check whether a padlock
>> appears somewhere on my screen indicating that the site is secure. I
>> did not find a padlock icon (where would it be? on the taskbar?? )
>
>No lock on a web site means the web site is insecure and any hacker will
>get the information you provide to the web site.

Nope. No lock means that the information that was presented to you on-screen
was not downloaded in an encrypted form. It does _not_ say whether your
credit card information will be submitted in an encrypted form or not.

In other words, if the padlock is on screen, you might _still_ be sending
unencrypted credit-card information; if the padlock is not on screen, you
might still be sending encrypted credit-card information. Sadly, the browser
makers screwed it up, and didn't bother to put the padlocks in the right
place.

>This is the least of your problems. If your on a Windows Platform and
>didn't dis-able a number of services, including file and print sharing,
>the entire WORLD can see your hard drive.

Same could be said for just about any platform. Disable unnecessary services,
install a restrictive firewall, no matter what OS you run.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alun@texis.com
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: netiquette and freedoms (was Re: NAIS)
    ... Thousands of credit card numbers stolen from gov't. ... from a state government Web site that allows residents to register their ... breach, but said Thursday that thousands had probably been taken, Najarian ... The state didn't notify consumers in December about the breach, ...
    (misc.rural)
  • Make Your Online Shopping Experiences Enjoyable and Safe
    ... online - from groceries to cars, ... you should try to find out if the merchant ... Every reliable online web site offers information about how it ... The safest way to shop on the Internet is with a credit card ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Make Your Online Shopping Experiences Enjoyable and Safe
    ... online - from groceries to cars, ... you should try to find out if the merchant ... Every reliable online web site offers information about how it ... The safest way to shop on the Internet is with a credit card ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Make Your Online Shopping Experiences Enjoyable and Safe
    ... online - from groceries to cars, ... you should try to find out if the merchant ... Every reliable online web site offers information about how it ... The safest way to shop on the Internet is with a credit card ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Make Your Online Shopping Experiences Enjoyable and Safe
    ... online - from groceries to cars, ... you should try to find out if the merchant ... Every reliable online web site offers information about how it ... The safest way to shop on the Internet is with a credit card ...
    (talk.politics.guns)