Re: Linksys assigned IP to unknown DHCP client???

From: aladin (aladin168@hotmail.com)
Date: 11/16/02

From: aladin168@hotmail.com (aladin)
Date: 16 Nov 2002 08:07:13 -0800

I understand the broadcasting part, that's not the problem.

My problem is that why DHCP client table shows my Linksys assigned
IP's that were out of the range I assigned?

Linksys showed the following DHCP client IP while I assigned my DHCP
client IP range as 192.168.1.100 - 149:

        194.168.1.118 00-00-20-08-00-01
  ` 208.168.59.103 00-02-68-20-00-00
        192.168.169.105 01-02-6A-62-10-02

Also, the CLIENT HOSTNAME field were either not showing up or showing
some junks.

Any idea?

Thanks,
/Kyle
kyle@kylelai.com
www.kylelai.com

roberson@ibd.nrc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:<ar4rmk$lm6$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>...
> In article <bf0f8e77.0211151950.347fc074@posting.google.com>,
> aladin <aladin168@hotmail.com> wrote:
> :I have noticed that my DHCP clients table has been showing UNKNOWN
> :DHCP clients!!! I only have 2 computers using my cable modem, but on
> :the DHCP clients table, it showed weird IP addresses that are outside
> :of the DHCP IP range I assigned. The MAC address seems to be spoofed
> :too... Any exploits out there for this type of behavior?
>
> My understanding is that cable modems see all the broadcasts
> for the entire block/group served by the common copper trunk
> but filter the non-broadcast traffic except to your assigned IP.
>
> The implication would be that you would be seeing MAC addresses
> for a number of machines that you wouldn't be able to reach by IP.
>
> I understand that this broadcast behaviour is necessary in order
> to support establishing the session in order to get an IP address
> to work with.
>
> I am not a cable modem user; I've merely seen the behaviour mentioned
> before.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linksys assigned IP to unknown DHCP client???
    ... I understand the broadcasting part, ... Linksys showed the following DHCP client IP while I assigned my DHCP ... the CLIENT HOSTNAME field were either not showing up or showing ... I only have 2 computers using my cable modem, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Linksys assigned IP to unknown DHCP client???
    ... interface DHCP is done on or anything more then the range. ... > I understand the broadcasting part, ... > Linksys showed the following DHCP client IP while I assigned my DHCP ... the CLIENT HOSTNAME field were either not showing up or showing ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Linksys assigned IP to unknown DHCP client???
    ... interface DHCP is done on or anything more then the range. ... > I understand the broadcasting part, ... > Linksys showed the following DHCP client IP while I assigned my DHCP ... the CLIENT HOSTNAME field were either not showing up or showing ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Re: Cable modem problem
    ... Not sure if its the same for your cable modem, but we have to send the ... provider our hostname as part of the initial connection. ... >> booted windows and got my ip status. ... >> correct NIC.The only problem is now the DHCP client configuration. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Difference bet MS and Solaris
    ... > I tried to connect Solaris (configured as dhcp client) to the network via ... > address) but not able to resolve server name. ... Some cable modem operators apply filters based on the nic MAC address. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)