Re: Snoops at UUNET?

From: Eric Lee Green (eric@badtux.org)
Date: 11/02/02

From: Eric Lee Green <eric@badtux.org>
Date: 2 Nov 2002 10:42:38 -0600

In article <Xns92B999CECF5DBSnifferBaitdkxe49euc@208.149.207.130>, Sniffer_Bait ruminated:
> I changed isps, having formerly had a uunet subcontracted isp.
> I was having problems with disconnects and gremlins changing
> settings in my software-tty hijacking by the local gateway box?

Or your network is *OWNED*, dude. As in, you have machines inside your
network controlled by script kideez or worse, who are poking around trying
to improve their access to the insides of your network.

> Then I go to connect to my other isp. Guess what? My firewall
> reports attempts to send UDP packets to the old UUNET DNS servers,
> even though I delisted them in my rule set. How is it I get alerts
> with UUNET addresses when using a new non-UUNET account? This looks
> like an attempt to sniff my dialup connects by the local UUNET
> gateway server.

More likely, it's part of an attempt by the hacker mal-ware inside
your network to "phone home".

--
Eric Lee Green       EMAIL: mailto:eric@badtux.org
BadTux News'n'Views: http://news.badtux.net

  • Re: Snoops at UUNET?
    ... > I changed isps, having formerly had a uunet subcontracted isp. ... > reports attempts to send UDP packets to the old UUNET DNS servers, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Wherere the good newgroups servers?
    ... If you connect to your ISP via UUNet, ... But you have to register first. ... > can I embed them into the Outlook Express? ...
  • Re: Snoops at UUNET?
    ... > I changed isps, having formerly had a uunet subcontracted isp. ... > settings in my software-tty hijacking by the local gateway box? ... > reports attempts to send UDP packets to the old UUNET DNS servers, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Umstellung der domain.
    ... Scheint ein DNS-Problem bei UUNet zu sein. ... Backup-MX von UUNet herausgenommen worden. ... Normalerweise ... stellt der ISP. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.exchange)
  • RE: multiple uplinks from ISP
    ... Getting VMware network to network can be hard. ... I think he knows a lot about multipath routing with or without quagga. ... Subject: multiple uplinks from ISP ...
    (freebsd-net)