Re: Is two times encrypting ALWAYS more secure than one time encrypting ???

From: phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Date: 05/09/02

From: phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Date: 9 May 2002 19:35:19 GMT

Barry Margolin <barmar@genuity.net> wrote:
> In article <abeblu$irc$2@nyheter.crt.se>, <phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote:
>>In comp.security.misc Sven Fischer <sven_20@mail.com> wrote:
>>> A question concerning the security of encrypting. Assume we have two different
>>> encryption tools.
>>
>>> Does it improve the security (uncrackability) of the starting text if I encrypt
>>> this text with one tool and than afterwards with another ?
>>
>>No, not really.
>>
>>If one is using secure encryption, one run is enough.

> What about things like Triple-DES -- isn't that essentially running the
> text through DES encryption three times? If multiple encryptions doesn't
> buy you anything, why do this?

It does so while extending key length to 112 bits. The point is
the longer key, not that DES is used several times.

--
Peter Håkanson

  • CryptoSurvey -- Results ..
    ... Many same or similar behavioral barriers for the ... effective utilization of many security solutions still exist limiting ... applications of encryption technologies currently in commercial ... Many people do not care about cryptography and/or security products ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • CryptoSurvey -- Results ..
    ... Many same or similar behavioral barriers for the ... effective utilization of many security solutions still exist limiting ... applications of encryption technologies currently in commercial ... Many people do not care about cryptography and/or security products ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: OT - Kuwait
    ... > One place where I agree with you is that the scope of government intrusion ... > into the private matters of Americans is much greater than most Americans ... >>> strict security procedures to prevent unauthorized release of the keys. ... >> Feds Want to Control Encryption ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
  • Re: OT - Kuwait
    ... Making the case for encryption standards that would allow the Feds to ... One place where I agree with you is that the scope of government intrusion ... into the private matters of Americans is much greater than most Americans ... >> strict security procedures to prevent unauthorized release of the keys. ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
  • Re: National Security Backdoor in telnetd - all versions.
    ... >>against the Secret Service for their violations of civil rights. ... encryption techniques to protect critical resources. ... plants have absolutely horrid security resulting from these stupidities. ... Of course I doubt you have an NDA with the government - so ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)