Re: a third party PC is being used to scan my ports

From: Doctor Arcane (docarcane@altavista.net)
Date: 05/07/02

From: docarcane@altavista.net (Doctor Arcane)
Date: 7 May 2002 09:38:33 -0700

> On 5 May 2002 03:17:47 -0700, edoardocosta@yahoo.com (Edoardo Costa)
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >It seems people are using PC's to scan my ports. Problem is, when I
> >check it out, they always seems to be inocent victims who have thier
> >PC used as a front end.

You might want to check out portsentry. If it detects a port scan it
can alert you and even drop them from the routing tables.

-arcane

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WSS Alerts not working
    ... and there is no virus checking which checks ports - simply portalshield ... and a symantec for the file system. ... If it was WSS 2.0 I would suspect the addition of a virus checker that is ... ImmedSubscription table has the alert entry with my e-mail address ...
  • Re: Zonealarm-NetBIOS alerts
    ... Look at your logs particularly looking for trends. ... the same IP addresses and ports. ... If the alert you get when you initially ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • is languard the best network monitoring app out there?
    ... if not, what would you reccomend. ... im looking for something that will monitor open ports and alert me is a new port tries to open up. ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: Firewall, PortSentry, and ports
    ... > PortSentry, and making a hole in the firewall for port one (and other ... -- use connection tracking to monitor stream state, ie., monitor which ... ports like ftp, smtp, ssh, telnet, dns, and netbios with iptables. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: first attempt at security
    ... portsentry opens up lots of *fake* listening ports. ... restart inetd **make sure portsentry doesn't restart ...
    (Security-Basics)