Re: Has the 128 bit encryption export resriction been lifted?

From: Bill Unruh (unruh@physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 03/04/02

From: unruh@physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh)
Date: 4 Mar 2002 21:41:11 GMT

In <f688d23a.0203040538.4a623fdf@posting.google.com> tony@anthonydeluca.com (anthony DeLuca) writes:

]I have been trying to get information on the 128-bit encryption export
]restriction and have had no luck. People have told me that they
]thought it had been lifted, but nobody is sure. Can anyone here answer
]this question or direct me to a good source that might be able to help
]me out?

For "public domain" ( as defined by the act) open source software, ther eis no
restriction. for proprietary there is still a restriction-- you must
still get a license.

Go to the Gov't web sites and read the act for yourself (linked to at the
bottom of my page
www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/pgp.html

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The last word...
    ... line is, however despicable the act or if there was any intent, Burger ... This all shouldn't take away anything from what the Boks have achieved ... No doubt the Lions had rotten luck this time around and I'd be first ... Can't speak for everyone, but for me the Lions are pretty much put on the back shelf from a week after the final test, until a few weeks before the next series, win or lose. ...
    (rec.sport.rugby.union)
  • Re: The last word...
    ... line is, however despicable the act or if there was any intent, Burger ... This all shouldn't take away anything from what the Boks have achieved ... No doubt the Lions had rotten luck this time around and I'd be first ... and SSB even Road Hog. ...
    (rec.sport.rugby.union)
  • Re: [OT] Is open sourcing a good idea?
    ... Permissible acts of encryption research.--Notwithstanding the ... the course of an act of good faith encryption research if-- ... of encryption technology, versus whether it was disseminated in a manner ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Best class decompiler?
    ... DMCA with respect to the "no circumventing encryption" clause. ... not through the use of the decompiler itself. ... aide the person in the act of commiting a crime) does not matter. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • The last word...
    ... to the Boks in such a close fashion, and as a matter of fact they ... line is, however despicable the act or if there was any intent, Burger ... No doubt the Lions had rotten luck this time around and I'd be first ... Anyway, that been said and done, got my tickets for tomorrow's game ...
    (rec.sport.rugby.union)