Re: Windows Media Player executes WMF content in .MP3 files.

From: Rahul Dhesi (c.c.eiftj@01.usenet.us.com)
Date: 03/03/02

From: c.c.eiftj@01.usenet.us.com (Rahul Dhesi)
Date: 3 Mar 2002 18:40:06 GMT

alun@texis.com (Alun Jones) writes:

>>But still, for the sake of argument, let's assume your statement,
>>however ambiguous, is true. But this not mean that the following is
>>untrue:
>>
>> "Microsoft always uses the filename (the extension part, at least), and
>> never a magic number, or any other part of the content."

>You make it seem as if those were my exact words....

Sorry, a typo on my part. Instead of 'untrue' above it should say
'true'. So the whole thing becomes as follows

But still, for the sake of argument, let's assume your statement,
however ambiguous, is true. But this not mean that the following is
true:

  "Microsoft always uses the filename (the extension part, at least), and
   never a magic number, or any other part of the content."

What I am saying is that Microsoft SHOULD use a consistent scheme for
deciding how to show/process/handle a file but Micosoft does not. The
program you call "Explorer" is somewhat consistent, but Microsoft is
not. My complaint is against Microsoft, not specifically against the
program you call "Explorer". Microsoft handles file types in hopelessly
unpredictable and inconsistent ways, leading to many surprises and some
computer system intrusions.

--
Rahul

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Media Player executes WMF content in .MP3 files.
    ... >In the UNIX world, how a file is executed always depends on any magic ... and never on the filename. ... In the Microsoft world, the file extension counts to decide what operations ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Common Dialog - Change file extension
    ... I know what the FilterIndex property is... ... Notice that you used the FileName property and that you suggested ... a question basically asking how to get the extension of a file. ... If you didn't know, Notepad and Word made by Microsoft. ...
  • Re: Silly Question of the Day
    ... usually the filename is all that I need. ... Why does Microsoft make things like this so difficult? ... >> Graham Mayor - Word MVP ... >> phideaux wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.word.pagelayout)
  • RE: FrameWork v2.0.50727 and Sharepoint 3.0
    ... The filename is not a valid Win32 file name. ... Installing Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 on a Server Running Windows ... this was caused due to partial installation of the ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Bainter notch filter, anyone?
    ... > The first time I encountered a filename with ... > to their new long filename capability. ... The OS software that Microsoft wrote for other non-IBM based ... C-64 and C-128 computers that also allowed spaces BEFORE the ...
    (sci.electronics.design)