Re: Network security - DMZs, Bastion Hosts etc...

From: Dustin Puryear (
Date: 02/15/02

    From: (Dustin Puryear)
    Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 05:04:46 GMT

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:26:42 -0000, "Exodus" <>
    >systems/databases available to internet based systems.
    >What's the most secure way of allowing systems interactive access through a
    >firewall, whilst ensuring that internet traffic can have absolutely no
    >access to the internal lan?

    I noticed you have a few replies, so I'll be brief. I'd like to
    suggest that if you haven't already, read _Building Internet
    Firewalls_ from O'Reilly. I'm reading it and it basically goes over
    what you are discussing right now.

    Regards, Dustin

    Dustin Puryear <>
    Information Systems Contractor
    PGP Key available at
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: avast
      ... > Just did a clean installation of xp pro sp1 and download 'avast anti ... Did you firewall before connecting to the internet? ... Internet and patch with the critical updates? ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
      ... Did you have a firewall going before connecting to the internet? ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ... are pay - some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
    • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
      ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...
    • Re: Security Alerts Driving Me INSANE!
      ... The only reason, really, that you need a firewall and antivirus software is ... because you use the Internet with your computer. ... cleaned up and considered a hardware upgrade or three. ...
    • RE: firewall
      ... You need to do a lot of reading about ipfw ... IPFW is the only firewall available to FBSD, ... rules do not function correctly on a DSL or cable internet ... @320 pass in quick on rl0 proto tcp from to any port ...