Re: Microsoft finally acknowledges the security drumbeats

From: Roger Marquis (not-for-mail@roble.com)
Date: 02/11/02

From: Roger Marquis <not-for-mail@roble.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:55:33 GMT

In comp.security.unix Alun Jones <alun@texis.com> wrote:
>In article <QyC98.18837$TI3.179329@typhoon.sonic.net>, Roger Marquis
><not-for-mail@roble.com> wrote:
>>Maybe an analogy will help: Does your mortgage or lease grant the bank
>>or landlord the right to access your property, look in your rooms, even
>>open your drawers and cabinets "at will"?
>
>Does it help if I note that the local city council can nay-say any alterations
>I care to make to my house, they can inspect them for safety, and in some

Can the city walk in to your house to do inspections at any time
without your permission? Can they remove and replace alterations that
don't meet code? If not your analogy is flawed.

>Analogies such as this are somewhat useless.

Inaccurate analogies to city planning are indeed useless. If
microsoft-everywhere proponents want to believe black is white and
white is black that's their right. Intelligent readers see right
through it.

I suppose it will never cease to amaze me how easily some people will
give up the right to control their own computer. Then again we've
heard many reports of microsoft paying people to write letters, even
taking names from the obituaries
<URL:http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO63256,00.html>.
I'm not saying that's the case here but it certainly would explain a
lot.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Microsoft finally acknowledges the security drumbeats
    ... Can the city walk in to your house to do inspections at any time ... If not your analogy is flawed. ... Inaccurate analogies to city planning are indeed useless. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: [opensuse] 11.0 goes gold
    ... It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished. ... I like the analogy to the city. ... I am going to modify that and add it to my signature. ... It sums up my work situation nicely. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: DNA, RNA and Protein questions
    ... In *my* analogy sugar is neither included nor needed. ... They are 3D structures, which, as I pointed out, make bricks not an ... exact analogy to the monomer of nuceleic acids. ... *useless* in one thread and say, ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Bernie the Bolt
    ... >>>I forgot to mention that they rust and become useless pretty quickly ... >> It's unfunny when you try to make an analogy between 2 items for comic ... >> What is funny however is when someone points that if you do a Google ... had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." ...
    (uk.sport.football.clubs.liverpool)
  • Re: Bernie the Bolt
    ... >>>I forgot to mention that they rust and become useless pretty quickly ... >> unfunny posts about people's nicknames and classic comedy. ... >> It's unfunny when you try to make an analogy between 2 items for comic ... >> What is funny however is when someone points that if you do a Google ...
    (uk.sport.football.clubs.liverpool)