Re: Microsoft finally acknowledges the security drumbeats

From: John R Pierce (spam@is.invalid)
Date: 02/11/02

From: John R Pierce <spam@is.invalid>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:21:23 -0800

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 01:44:55 GMT, Howard Christeller
<hchristeller@home.com> wrote:

>You must explicitly configure up2date for auto installs; you can also
>configure it so that it only downloads, but does not install.

Windows update in XP works exactly the same way. Mine is configured to go
ahead and download the updates but NOT automatically install them, and it
asks me if I want them, and lets me pull up the details on them etc.

Note the use of the word 'may' several times in the legalese.

-jrp

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Nov. Office Updates fail
    ... Update' in the Downloads column, left hand side, it asks to accept an active ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... You cannot install some updates or programs ... I used Windows Update to identify the need for the updates and navigated ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: AuthenTec Inc AES1610 update not working
    ... I backed up all my docs and settings and restored my computer to ... caused by an Automatic "Important" Windows Update that downloads and ... need to install the Windows Updater first) and view them. ... of an Automatic Windows Update that canot be uninstalled after it has ...
  • Re: Auto Update Missbehaving
    ... The settings you set in Security Centre apply to the ActiveX control ... "Pick a time to install updates" link on the web page. ... Windows Update switches to the fully automatic mode ... What makes you think downloads have occured behind you back? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Update Installs An "Upgrade" That Acts Like A Trojan
    ... Just noticed this when I was trying to install "recommended" updates from ... You are no longer allowed to use Windows Update unless you ... To use this latest version of Windows Update, you will need to upgrade ... Smarter downloads: If downloading is interrupted, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Nov. Office Updates fail
    ... Update' in the Downloads column, left hand side, it asks to accept an active ... Mike Hall ... You cannot install some updates or programs ... I used Windows Update to identify the need for the updates and navigated ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)