Re: No serial number at all in ALL Pentium 4's (also older 1.4Ghz)?! Is it REALLY true?!

From: Eirik Seim (
Date: 02/07/02

From: (Eirik Seim)
Date: 7 Feb 2002 13:46:42 GMT

On Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:05:30 GMT, Mike <> wrote:
>On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 22:07:17 GMT, "Dave" <xrlznfgre14@rneguyvax.arg>
>>"Bill Unruh" <> wrote in message
>>> In <> writes:
>>> Some operating systems will disable the serial numbers for you, and never
>>> report the serial number. (Eg Linux).
>>Some motherboards (including this one) also allow you to disable the serial
>>number in the BIOS.
>My three HP computers (two Kayak desktops, and one Omnibook notebook)
>have BIOS settings to disable the CPU serial number.

And there has been issues, demonstrated on websites (can't remember if it was
an ActiveX control or whatever) that can alter that BIOS-setting, reading your
processor serial number, and possibly also resetting the BIOS to its original
state, after collecting the serial number.

Maybe this is "fixed" for the moment, but I think we'll only see more of this,
see and google..

Follow-up set to

- Eirik

Eirik Seim                        System Administrator              Math. Department       University of Bergen

Relevant Pages