Re: Concerning Cryptography

From: Walter Roberson (roberson@ibd.nrc.ca)
Date: 01/24/02

From: roberson@ibd.nrc.ca (Walter Roberson)
Date: 24 Jan 2002 20:46:46 GMT

In article <f16f0b2a.0201231752.43e08d8e@posting.google.com>,
Peanut Butter <ISBN0111110@aol.com> wrote:
:I was wondering if someone could tell me all of the fields of
:mathematics incloved with cryptography so I can read up on those
:fields. Thank You.

Not really. Cryptography is a pretty big topic, and people keep
finding new ways of applying mathematics in order to impliment new
cryptography schemes or break old schemes.

Someone suggested you start with Discrete Mathematics. I would
disagree: I think you should start *way* before that. In particular,
I think you would not be able to understand Cryptography properly until
you understand these (and more!):

- elementary matrix operations -- matrix multiply, matrix inversions,
  solutions to simultaneous linear equations
- elementary set theory
- basic function theory. Composition of functions
- The Counting Argument
- basic probability and statistics theory -- conditional probabilities,
  mean, standard deviation
- integration and differentiation (otherwise you won't be able to do
  proper density functions for the statistics)
- introductory graph theory
- basic linguistic analysis
- modular arithmetic
- basic group and field theory
- introductory theory of computation. Turing machines. Finite Automata,
  Finite state machines

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Randomness is the Tail - Not the Dog.
    ... happen in scalar mathematics. ... like the use of alphanumeric data as the data type for the cipher text ... in the one-time pad type of cipher being prepared by the writer. ... Unbreakable cryptography but this is only a lucky fallout of computer ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Mathematics Applied to Cryptography - Enigma One
    ... The American AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) is probably the most ... with the RSA cipher coming next. ... This post is not about cryptography per se but seeks to demonstrate ... this looking at it from a puritanical point of view i.e. mathematics ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: An Unblinkered Analysis.
    ... due to re-use of a portion of the key) secure by splitting it into ... A cipher can be secured by a one-way mathematical function without the ... like to mention but are required to make this cryptography work. ... complex mathematics but mathematics works by the predictability of ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • The State of Random.
    ... reinforcing already well-known and accepted cases of a haphazard state ... historian reckons that the Sumerians invented mathematics to ... The answer to that question in cryptography is this, ... it still applies within intensely number-theoretic cipher design ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: The Winds of Change - Update.
    ... Ciphers do not have intellect nor intellectual integrity. ... This also leaves out many other file formats that are commonly used ... The "cryptography of the future" has the attributes of not tolerating ... you do not understand the mathematics or the algorithms of my ...
    (sci.crypt)