Re: POP3 risk over the internet

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews@hansenonline.net)
Date: 12/15/01

    From: Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net>
    Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:10:06 GMT

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:40:31 GMT, wildernesscanoe spoketh

    >I want to allow POP3 connectivity from the internet to my microsoft exchange
    >server.
    >I know how to set up the firewall rules.
    >Does anyone know the risks associated with this.
    >Where can I read up on this: books, websites.
    >Thanks

    Usernames and passwords are transmitted in cleartext. If you need users
    to have access to e-mail externally, use OWA with SSL.

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
    (replace 'badnews' with 'lars' in e-mail address)

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Security Suggestion (Exchange 2000) & access to files
      ... Try to get along without OWA. ... >external (Internet) IP for the SMTP Gateway and another IP for OWA? ... If you enable external access to a server in the internal network, ... A 2 Microsoft Exchange Server set up ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Security Suggestion (Exchange 2000) & access to files
      ... A new Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server is being implemented. ... NIC to the DMZ for Internet access. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: POP3 risk over the internet
      ... >I want to allow POP3 connectivity from the internet to my microsoft exchange ... >server. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • cant start internet mail service...
      ... I noticed recently that we weren't getting any external mail - so I ... checked it was being delivered to our server correctly and it was. ... The final service involved in all this is Microsoft Exchange Message ... "The Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service service depends on the ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
      ... The SBS DNS server, running on ... its IP it means that your problem is now DNS. ... forward ports to it reliably in the router. ... I should have been more clear about internet connection.. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)