Re: server not found, try again repeatedly

Burkhard Ott <news2009@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:j1eenn$54p$1

The DNS error might just the browsers explananation of a timeout.
Depending on your network setup, if you can check the packet flow between
your computer and your router or whatever is between, you should be able
to the dns requests, if not the dns request doesn't leave your computer.

Uhmmm.... Wireshark does exactly that. It's a 'packet sniffer'. I was
monitoring the traffic to/from the computer.

The "DNS server error" comes from the DNS server. It has nothing to
do with my browser. Although, it might come from my routers too.
I'll have to check again to verify the originating IP address.

Most of these Desktop filter are snakeoil anyway and actually (in
theorie) increase the risk on your computer, you can use the built-in
windows firewall in that case. No need for any additional software which
uses basically the same filter mechanisms.

I don't use the Windows firewall because it only controls inbound
traffic. It does nothing for outbound, and experience has taught me
that such is mandatory for my security.

I figure my requests are just getting lost in the ether.

Ususally no packte gets lost, maybe the ttl is 0 und the packet dies but
it reached at some point a couple of hops.

Perhaps my use of the phrase "getting lost" should be taken in
a general sense, meaning my get requests go out but somewhere
along the way some server just fails to respond. I did not mean
to literally say the packet just disappears.

For me it only happens a few times per day. The one thing I notice is it
happens more to my usenet connection than web.

If the problem happens you can also try (during that time) to reach just
another one (maybe opendns or something similar via nslookup), if you
have the same problem, deaktivate the filter.

I am very doubtful that the software firewall is to blame, as I've
been using it for many years on previous ISP's and previous system
builds. This problem only began with my current ISP. The only changes
other than that are the addition of a local router for my home network,
which would be easy to bypass for testing.

I will log some more traffic and see what happens. Some days I have
zero problems, others it's several times per day. So it might be a
while before I post back.

-- - Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy, Skepticism
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?