Re: Blocking a site ?

So you think it is the printer itself that talks to the site in question?
Why do people rush to render advice on subjects they are clueless about?

Noah Davids wrote:

Juergen Nieveler wrote:
species8350 <not_here.5.species8350@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

My question is 'Is there a way to prevent the printer manufacturer
from monitoring my activities'?

Several. Cut off your Internet access, throw away the printer...

You can't reliably block any software you install from communicating to
specific addresses - it's pretty much impossible to stop them from
accessing the network at all, as a matter of fact. Telling the software
"You can talk to anybody BUT..." is impossible, as there's too much
methods to get around such a block, from using various server names up
to using DNS tunneling.

Juergen Nieveler

Instead of blocking the printer site at the firewall block the printer.
If the printer cannot send packets past the firewall it really doesn't
matter who it tries to communicate with.

  • Re: Blocking a site ?
    ... Juergen Nieveler wrote: ... You can't reliably block any software you install from communicating to specific addresses - it's pretty much impossible to stop them from accessing the network at all, as a matter of fact. ... Instead of blocking the printer site at the firewall block the printer. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: AMI BIOS setting question
    ... |> OK, well, the reason I asked is a setting that 'disables' wake on LAN ... I want the second computer that is networked to this computer to: ... So it's not just a matter of getting the LED to go out, ... |> It's not 'communicating' with the 'problem' machine if it isn't on, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Repeated payment demands from BT when they actually owe me money - what should I do?
    ... Attatched is the evidence. ... >>> continuation in pursuing this matter in the face of the evidence shall ... >>It is very doubtful that you can stop another party from communicating ... >>you about an existing contract matter or any other 'legal' issue by ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Repeated payment demands from BT when they actually owe me money - what should I do?
    ... Attatched is the evidence. ... >> Should you continue to persue this matter, when it is thrown out of court ... >you about an existing contract matter or any other 'legal' issue by ... >threatening that by so communicating, they are entering into a legally ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: HELP ECHOLINK & XP
    ... Does it matter? ... If people want to exchange pictures that's great. ... what the hobby is all about...prople having similar interests communicating ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)