Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent?

As a condition for accessing my employer's network from home, I had to
have approved anti-virus and firewall apps installed on my home PCs.

They gave out copies of Symantec AntiVirus and Symantec Protection
Agent, but I'm changing jobs and the SPA wants to talk to an update
server on my current employer's network from time to time and I won't
have access to it any more.

Both SAV and SPA are rather intrusive and resource intensive, but I
like SPA's ability to selectively prevent apps from making outbound
network connections, so I'd like to have a replacement that has that
feature. Cheap (or free) would be a nice feature too.

Any suggestions for a software firewall with the ability to
selectively block outbound connection attempts?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@xxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Migrate from Domain to Workgroup
    ... If possible you need to be logging on to a local machine account and not the domain ... access your network computer. ... I can see my two home PCs from my new laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Cant open shared files on the other computer
    ... >I am using a Netgear DG834G Wireless router to network ... >two home PCs (One PC is running XP Home and the other ... >might not have permission to use this network resource. ... Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group ...
  • Cant open shared files on the other computer
    ... I am using a Netgear DG834G Wireless router to network ... two home PCs (One PC is running XP Home and the other ... The internet connection works fine but I am unable to ... might not have permission to use this network resource. ...
  • Not enough server storage is available ...
    ... I am using a Netgear DG834G Wireless router to network ... two home PCs (One PC is running XP Home and the other ... The internet connection works fine but I am unable to ... might not have permission to use this network resource. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent?
    ... As a condition for accessing my employer's network from home, ... Cheap would be a nice feature too. ... selectively block outbound connection attempts? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)