Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent?

As a condition for accessing my employer's network from home, I had to
have approved anti-virus and firewall apps installed on my home PCs.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 on all my home machines.

They gave out copies of Symantec AntiVirus and Symantec Protection
Agent, but I'm changing jobs and the SPA wants to talk to an update
server on my current employer's network from time to time and I won't
have access to it any more.

Both SAV and SPA are rather intrusive and resource intensive, but I
like SPA's ability to selectively prevent apps from making outbound
network connections, so I'd like to have a replacement that has that
feature. Cheap (or free) would be a nice feature too.

Any suggestions for a software firewall with the ability to
selectively block outbound connection attempts?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@xxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Pinning items to Start Menu
    ... Open My Network Places and locate the shared folder you want pinned to the Start ... the feature, ... There's a group policy setting that when enabled will turn off ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Pinning items to Start Menu
    ... Using Network Places to add network folders is also useful, ... Network Place has to be a folder. ... value has enabled the feature, ... of recently opened programs and below the user's log on name. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Barbaras (mini-)rant
    ... i added rfc 1044 support to the base ... ... ADDITIONAL FUNCTION AND NEW NETWORK FILE SYSTEM FEATURE ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: OT: Vista Basic...the Right Choice?
    ... *If you're already using your favorite third-party software, why bloat your footprint with Microsoft's DVD maker, backup, encryption, etc. ... we needed to put a computer on the network here at work, ... I think this is simply a feature of an OS -- that has ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: T"o many files opened"
    ... I saw references in the Google search indicating that OS 8.6 has a limit of 348 open files while OS 9.x has bumped that up to around 8000 or so. ... Problem 3's references were few but to the point: turn off the auto-save feature in the application's Preferences. ... Problem 4 can be overcome by not working with the file directly from within shared folders or across network connections. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint)