Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 22:36:32 -0400, Miss Crystal Light wrote:

Am I covered pretty much? I do a lot of online banking and I am always
afraid of being hacked.

That could depend on what browser you use and whether you allow web
sites to save cookies.

I am using FireFox, the latest version. Should I allow cookies to be
saved? Some sites will not open unless I do so. Your thoughts, please?

I do not know anything about the router except I do not use it in
wireless mode. The cable from my cable HS provider goes into the
router and then into the cable modem and then into the computer, all
connected by cables.

Have you actually disconnected the wireless antenna from your router?

Yes, a long time ago.

I often visit the web site "ShieldsUp":
<https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2>

I will visit that site too.

Thanks,
Crystal

If anyone visits "ShieldsUp" have a read of the web page and if
satisfied press "Proceed"

Is there anything else I should be doing and considering the above,
should I go ahead and turn the XP firewall on? It might already be.

Don't turn on the XP firewall it only protects against incoming alerts
which are already attended to by your router.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070622061544/http://www.grcsucks.com/
:-)

  • Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?
    ... Also turn off UPnP (if the router has such an option) unless you really need ... connected by cables. ... The XP firewall should be turned ON. ... It is not necessary to install other firewall software on your computer. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Finally got broadband, Help Me Get Setup PLEASE on XBOX Live
    ... I'm using USB right now for the modem, so with the router USB is out of the equation now? ... When you plug the cable into your computer and into the router, ... I think the router and bridge both come with cables anyway. ... I right in thinking the router has firewall as well, do I have both, one, if one how do I choose which is best? ...
    (uk.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: [SLE] Network troubleshooting
    ... > firewall components. ... it's time to start looking at cables. ... cables in the router, hub, and PC. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: AKiCiF: Help me find a better ISP
    ... There are two kinds of cat5 cables: ... two conventional cables into a switch or router. ... Look in your yellow pages under "Internet" and go to their offices ... The router acts as an additional level of firewall ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: is this a good router to get?
    ... firewall as well total cost as little as $100 ... to run cables to the other room. ... wireless capable router instead of a "wired" one, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)