Re: Block insant messenger

On Sep 23, 4:19 pm, comph...@xxxxxxxxx (Todd H.) wrote:
Helpful person <rrl...@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Sep 22, 2:59 pm, Gary <ga...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Helpful person wrote:
I wish to blockinstantmessanger from AOL at the router.

I don't know if the stock firmware will allow blocking of outbound
services but DD-WRT definitely does. See dd-wrt.com to see if your
hardware rev is flashable or not.

-Gary

I looked at the web site you suggested but this level of discussion is
way over my head.  I'm reasonably computer savvy except when it comes
to communications and firewalls

Welcome to comp.security.firewalls.  If you're willing to learn,
you'll become more savvy.

It doesn't take a lot of savvy to find the hardware compatibility list
and see if your make/model of router is on it though.  dd-wrt.com
supported hardware tab, list of devices.  Pay attention to 2nd last
column and the last column for starters.   You might be taxed to turn
your router over and find its exact hardware revision number as well
as its model number.

Installing can get a bit hairy, but there's a wiki to help you
probably with your model and lead you step by step.   Or sometimes
it's just easier to buy a new router for testing so you don't shoot
yourself in the foot.
         http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F

Once installed, dd-wrt's web based config is not all that much more
complex than your standard config.

--
Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

Thanks. I'll read the web site a little more carefully. However,
Firmware upgrades scare me.

  • Re: Block insant messenger
    ... I'm reasonably computer savvy except when it comes ... It doesn't take a lot of savvy to find the hardware compatibility list ... and see if your make/model of router is on it though. ... complex than your standard config. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: (Xnews) Memory Problems reading goups with millions of posts - Thanks ->>> with a P.S. f
    ... Blinky the Shark wrote in ... and make this simple for you, Your hardware is far ... savvy because YOUR hardware cant handle it is ... I thought you were having tiny-memory problems. ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: WARNING dont install this software.
    ... > savvy' was a bit of an overstatement. ... with no budget who are still struggling on with old hardware. ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: Best router solution
    ... Or an Excellent router. ... > I WAS talking about router hardware and not workstation. ... This is the same as lamenting that I'm not specifying why eg cisco ... >> reliability as some more usually used routing hardware. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls
    ... connections between multiple computers. ... A Linksys NAT router box is selling for only $40 at Amazon ... Besides protecting against the MSBlaster worm, a hardware ... Then the user finds about port forwarding, and as soon as the user ...
    (Full-Disclosure)