.htaccess response not getting out

I have a home website that works fine except that if I click on a link
to a folder that has .htaccess authorization I never get the user/
password box, it just stalls until I click on another folder whereupon
the content is displayed. All other content on the site is available
to the outside without issue, and the .htaccess stuff works as
expected when I click the link from one of the internal computers in
the house.

The firewall is pf and it's been told to allow all outbound traffic,
although I might have followed that with a rule specifying tcp and udp
protocols. Are .htaccess type packets not part of either of those? I'm
somewhat new to ruleset structure and the like so I'm sure pf is
simply doing what I've told it to do.

thanks,

tf
.