Re: home lan setup suggestions

Ragga <look@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

1st config- modem is set to pppoe-bridging with dhcp on (in pppoe mode
it can't be turned off) , router's internet connection dialog set to
auto-dhcp.
Router internet config dialog shows:
Connection : Auto-dhcp
IP address : 192.168.1.1
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Default gateway : xxx.xxx.xxx.N+1 , being the IP assigned by ISP
xxx.xxx.xxx.N
Modem manages the connection/disconnection to internet, being still
accessible trough browser at 192.168.0.1 (this puzzles me because i
though it wasn't going to work, since router's gateway is set to
another ip)

The router itself uses the gateway IP given to it by the ISP. It uses
it as the default next hop it's gonna send outgoing traffic to on the
WAN interface. Your LAN devices will use your router's IP as
their default gateway.

That is what I don't understand, see if this makes sense.
Router's gateway should be the modem, and modem's gateway should be
the ISP's, so router dialog should tell me its gateway is 192.168.0.1 .
This is what happens if I unplug the phone cable from the modem: no
internet connection, no assigned IP from ISP, router tells me its
gateway is 192.168.0.1, very reassuring.
Then I plug in the phone cable, modem hooks up with dsl signal, gets
its dynamic IP 200.100.50.50 .
At this point router changes the parameters shown, and tells me
gateway is 200.100.50.51 .Same scenario as above.
If I traceroute traffic, it shows the obvious 192.168.1.1 -
192.168.0.1 - ISP machines - whatever route to target.
This makes total sense.
So where is 200.100.50.51? What is that?
The only idea I can come up with is "dynamic Ip + 1" is the address
assigned by modem's dhcp to router's wan port in the mini-lan
connecting the two devices.Mini lan that should be the 192.168.0.X
subnet (thus I am able to access modem config with browser, pointing
it at 192.168.0.1), while my pc's+router lan is the 192.168.1.X
subnet.
Still router should tell me its gateway is 192.168.0.1 as shown in the
traceroute.
Router's gateway address is router's wan port IP?
Modem's IP (on my side) is both 192.168.0.1 and 200.100.50.51? (this
makes no sense at all)
D'oh.

What make/model of router and make/model of modem? I'm having
trouble picturing where you're seeing this .50 and .51 address. If
you can search up a screen shot or something on the internet it might
be helpful to answer the question.

Generally with a cable modem, teh routing goes
1 your home router's LAN IP
2 an IP somehwere in your ISP's network
3 other stuff

The IP your cable modem is assigned doesn't show up, since strictle a
cable modem isn't an IP layer device. It' conencts at one layer lower
on the ole network stack. From a IP standpoint, the cable modem is
really just a layer 2 thingee that connects your home router to the
ISP's network, and IP doesnt' care about the details.

Once you get the IP and everything is trained up and working, visit a
site like http://whatismyip.com/ (which provide the IP address as
internet web servers would see you as being) and compare those with
what you're seeing on these various screens.

In my case (which is similar router+cable modem), my "public ip" as
webservers see me (and as I'd see at a http://whatismyip.com or
equivalent) matches the "WAN IP" I see in my home router's
configuration page. This address doesn't show up in a traceroute (as
it's not a router's IP address). The default gateway, from the
perspective of my home router is an IP address within my ISP, and it
matches to the IP I see on the 2nd hop of a traceroute performed from
any computer inside my LAN. The first hop of course is the internal
IP address of my router.

Now, on the cable modem itself.... (as reported at the DOCIS standard
location of http://192.168.100.1/ on my scientific atlanta cable
modem) the "cable modem IP address" shows a 10.x address that shows up
nowhere else (not in my router, not in my traceroutes, etc). And
under "CPE Conenctions" on this cable modem status web page, my public
address (that one that matches whatismyip.com) does show there.

Finally, on my client machines in my lan, all DHCP assigned machines
have my router's internal LAN IP address as their default gateway.

Dunno if any of this helps you directly, but gives you another common
datapoint to see if you can figure out what the various IP addresses
that you're seeing on your network can be made sense of.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: Trouble obtaining IP address
    ... So some internet providers will not ... On newer systems, you have to power cycle the cable modem to make it work reliably, with a pause of about a minute between off and on. ... This is what the "clone MAC address" function on routers is for - you log into the router from the system that was originally connected to the cable modem, ... >said I cannot switch Ethernet cable from one computer to another and>expect ...
  • Re: home lan setup suggestions
    ... for your router, set an administrative password, and disable UPnP ... Connection: Auto-dhcp ... Default gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.N+1, being the IP assigned by ISP ... Router's gateway should be the modem, and modem's gateway should be the ISP's, so router dialog should tell me its gateway is 192.168.0.1. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Something strange happened to network setup on XP Pro machine
    ... connected to a RCA/Thomson cable modem for Internet access. ... router. ... I decided to try connecting the machines to the ...
  • Re: Having network problems.
    ... >>> router assigned the IP except I'm not using a router. ... >>> the modem does assign an IP but it is supposed to be the Dynamic IP they ... >> Get your internal network fixed, your internet connectivity cleaned up & ...
  • Re: Router Internet Connection Problem
    ... 1)We had some internet service problems, ... We are using a USR8054 Router -- the network seems to work just fine ... Connections seem fine -- the cable modem shows that it is connected, ... internet connection seems to work fine when connected directly to the ...