Re: O.T. Spam

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
<bCqej.25464$KC3.791@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Ford wrote:

I thought I'd got my Thunderbird set up to mark as 'read' the paranoid
idiot who spams on all NGs about MI5 persecution!

He's now starting to obfuscate the headers with spaces, single quotes
and commas - and they're slipping through.

1. Scream at your ISP/News_provider - most of them with clue managed
to figure out their customers may leave if they don't filter. See
also the moderated group 'news.admin.net-abuse.policy'
2. Get a real news reader, not some toy oversexed web browser
3. Learn regular expressions

The best solution is to have your ISP handle the problem. If they
won't do so, and you absolutely must stay with them, change to a
less incompetent news provider, like individual.net.

Filtering - I'm seeing posts in other newsgroups that the nutcase
is using multiple newsgroups in a single post. A decent news reader
or spooling tool can filter on the eight headers your news provider
supplies in answer to the 'XOVER' command: (From:, Subject:,
References:, Date:, Bytes:, Lines:, Message-ID: and Xref:). Thus
filtering for articles cross-posted to 4 or more newsgroups should
do the trick. Regular expressions will also defeat the obfuscated
headers, whether 'M.*I.*5.*P' or what-ever - look it up.

I've used Spamassain in the past which worked well with Mutt on Linux,

Isn't needed if you are using a real news reader

but as I use Photoshop on this machine I'm stuck with XP.

Don't like the free alternative called GIMP? What-ever.

In the end, I may have to subscribe to news.individual.net, which I've
used in the past (when it was free!). Does anyone know if this server
is on top of the MI5 spammer?

Many providers are handling it well.

Old guy

  • Re: Filtering tip for current crop of spam hitting Usenet
    ... and there are a couple of ways to reset newsgroups without fiddling with the registry - unless there's something about AOL that makes them unique or a PITA. ... Go into Message Rules and remove the filter. ... A popup window will tell you how many messages are on the server and how many of them you want to download. ...
    (rec.models.scale)
  • Re: hatter crowd
    ... NG in the "Newsgroups" header? ... If, for example, I could filter ... scoring text file in your Xnews directory or get back to me here. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: May Be Choosing Unison
    ... You can filter into archives and create as many archives as you like. ... Ability to combine newsgroups to be displayed together in one article ... From the special archive for "Sent" postings you can cancel articles ...
    (comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: Seeking help with Thunderbirds filtering capabilities
    ... other newsreader programs, to filter out messages that occurred in newsgroups other than soc.religion.quaker, such as those which were cross-posted to several newsgroups at once, including s.r.q. ... If you want to filter out cross posts you will have to get a different ... This translates as mark as read any post that has in it's header a line ... I have a one serious problem with a driver for the primary I/O, ...
    (soc.religion.quaker)
  • Re: May Be Choosing Unison
    ... You can filter into archives and create as many archives as you like. ... Ability to combine newsgroups to be displayed together in one article ... listing window with cross-posts eliminated to one posting. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.misc)