Re: Newsgroup filtering with host server software

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
<fl0h6d$oev$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Victek wrote:

Never saw a reason/need for Hotmail. Any mail from a hotmail account
is assumed to be spam as no one would be using it for business, and
at work we simply block access to the IP ranges used by Hotmail (and
yahoo, and gmail, and others). Family/friends know I drop all mail
from these kind of accounts - but then, a lot of them do the same.

Why? Hotmail offers free and "for pay" accounts with extra services.

I'll just say that (until I started dropping all 'hotmail', 'yahoo',
'gmail' and similar) ALL mail I've ever received from those domains
was spam. Almost no exceptions. At work, such domain names are an
indication that the sender doesn't care about appearances or data
security.

It can be reached anywhere through a browser and also through Windows
Live Mail on the XP/Vista desktop.

If the company is able to get business where you are required to travel,
they have the incentive to set up a local server where users can SSH in
to read their mail.

Hotmail is one component of the larger "Windows Live Services" which
can certainly meet the needs of small business. If you have a
corporate job then fine you have corporate mail, but how about people
who are self-employed?

Does the business have an Internet presence? Does it NEED to be sending
and receiving email? Then it probably has an Internet connection, and
the Internet provider will be happy to provide mail service. In the
neighborhood where I live, there is a mini-shopping center, with (going
from memory) an Italian restaurant, tax service*, pool supplies, real
estate*, insurance, wireless store*, grocery*, hair dresser, package
service*, eye glasses, fingernail care, and sandwich shop* (the ones
marked with a * are either a chain or franchise). EVERY ONE has an
email address, though several are Business_name@Cable_ISP. No hotmail
accounts or similar.

Just blocking hotmail is a very heavy handed way to reduce spam.

You may think so, but it's common. These types of email providers do
not give the appearance of a serious business, never mind the amount
of spam that comes from there. Also, unless your mail is encrypted
by the sender, I certainly wouldn't be sending sensitive mail anywhere
near those services. Google (gmail) _is_ a data mining company, and
the reputation of Microsoft (hotmail) isn't exactly first rate.

Old guy

  • Re: FTC Do Not Call List
    ... what are the costs and benefits? ... Spam is particularly odious ... > organizations or businesses with which I do have a legitimate business ... >> I don't understand Internet message addressing, but it seems to me any ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Re: Newsgroup filtering with host server software
    ... Hotmail is one component of the larger "Windows Live Services" which can certainly meet the needs of small business. ... If you have a corporate job then fine you have corporate mail, but how about people who are self-employed? ... Just blocking hotmail is a very heavy handed way to reduce spam. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Man gets nine years for spamming
    ... >>1) SPAM is not a SECURITY issue. ... >>business model as you. ... You may be able to block countries, ... blanket IP block filtering. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: 7 Acre Ranchette, 15 min. from Baltimore City/Columbia
    ... I publish Sport Horse ... It's spam if you post repeatedly, ... business owners in a category somewhere below slugs. ... We all buy things from business owners, ...
    (rec.equestrian)
  • Re: OE and Hotmail
    ... Please keep in mind that MSN/Hotmail is still a free email account. ... Accessing the account in OE or OL is what MSN/Hotmail is beginning to charge ... (Of course, Hotmail is ... The problem with spam doesn't necessarily refer to *received* spam but, ...