Re: Newsgroup filtering with host server software

I'd like to setup something like Hamster to filter NG's since Windows Live
Mail filtering is pretty inept. Hamster may be fine, but I only saw the
German site when I went looking to download it. Can someone recommend an
app that is well supported in English (site and/or download link
appreciated)?

Why not use a real, actual, Usenet client instead of the broken email
clients that MS provides?

If you provided a little more information - what are you wanting to
filter?

A number of public NG's that I frequent are being spammed so bad they are unusable. alt.comp.freeware is a good example. Users and domains can be blocked in Windows Live Mail (WLM), but then the message store has to be reset to actually remove the blocked messages. I'd like to be able to filter all this crap so that it doesn't reach the newsreader at all, but if I can't do that I'd like to use a reader that immediately removes messages after the senders are marked as blocked. Outlook Express worked this way, but WLM doesn't. I thought that a local server like Hamster might be a good way to exert more control, but perhaps a better reader would be enough?

  • Re: Newsgroup filtering with host server software
    ... German site when I went looking to download it. ... filter all this crap so that it doesn't reach the newsreader at all, ... I thought that a local server like Hamster might be a good ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Server Side filtering (as pertains to Google Groups)
    ... headers are included in the overview headers, ... don't need a proxy to filter on that header). ... The effect is to retrieve bodies only for articles whose headers have ... the user can choose to download it or not. ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: KB867801 Security Update installs(?) every day
    ... >> I would try deleting the downloaded files which are making the install possible. ... I can't remember where WUv4 downloads to and installs from. ... widen the filter, get some better hints from somebody else, or guess and get lucky. ... I seem to recall that WUv4 tries to download to and install from the partition ...
  • Re: Email programs that work.
    ... - I have tons of them on my Courier-Imap ... Why should I wait for my MUA to filter incoming messages? ... Why shoud a MUA download messages? ... Debian GNU/Linux Consultant ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Download the Earth - Sigh...
    ... My virus infestation to date. ... I also use the "filter" part of my email ... to download it, and then activate it. ... As has been said, security is not a "solution", its ...
    (alt.support.arthritis)