Re: Which home user router has a decent firewall inside it?

John Adams <no@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

My D-Link 604 is starting to act up so need a new wired router
soon. Which one has a decent firewall, does not lag your internet
connection much and is not too expensive? Must be Xbox 360 compatible
too. Thanks.

In the home budget range, the Linksys WRT54GL (just turn off the
wireless radio) or about any other Broadcom based device with
sufficient memory paired with the free dd-wrt firmware can create a
rather complex firewall of your choosing when paired with third party
firmware.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firewall_Builder

As far as bang for the buck goes, I'm not sure there's anything
better.

(Yes, pedants, a Cisco PIX, a Juniper, Netscreen, or a Nokia IPSO based
firewall would be better if price, noise, size and power consumption
were no object. )

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: Two LANs with 3 computers, Xbox 360 on 1?
    ... The router will contain a firewall. ... The router will assign IP addresses to all your PCs (and your xBox). ... The router will let you share your internet connection across all the ... area network and used the network setup wizard to connect up. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Working Now!
    ... the switch, if it doesn't then at least you havn't spent money on a new ... I connectec both the Xbox ... > even reinstalling the extender and could not make a connection at all. ... > Mind you I did all this testing with Windows Firewall and Norton disabled. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Xbox 360 - Forever "contacting..." ; Never comes online
    ... configured Norton to match the settings described on the below page? ... all combinations of Norton Firewall and Windows Firewall. ... internet for web/email (or Xbox Live). ... I can successfully 'disconnect' the Xbox from previous WMC connection and ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Working Now!
    ... I connectec both the Xbox ... >even reinstalling the extender and could not make a connection at all. ... >Mind you I did all this testing with Windows Firewall and Norton disabled. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: 360 wont connect to my MCE PC
    ... Settings --> About Media Center and it shows the version there. ... I put that in and when it goes to verify it says "XBox 360 Not ... > or a firewall may cause this problem. ... Check your connection or disable ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)