Re: Anything wrong with blocking "new" SYN/ACK packets?

BlackHole wrote:
On 2007-10-19, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usenet-2007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
BlackHole <BlackHole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was reading about these "distributed reflective denial of service"
attacks (spray a ton of IPs with spoofed syn packets and they all hit
the target with syn/ack's) and I was wondering:

1. Would it not be possible to just block syn/ack packets that have
the state: NEW
Yes (depending on your packet filter, that is).

or would a legitimate syn/ack have that state anyway?
No.

2. If its possible to just block those is there any reason why I would
NOT want to do that?
No.

cu
59cobalt

Cool, well theres one more defense added to my arsenal of iptables rules
;-)

Thanks

you could well try to only allow TCP packets which certain flags and
drop the rest instead of the opposite :D

  • Re: Problem connecting to VxWorks Target Agent
    ... Netmask 0xffff0000 Subnetmask 0xffff0000 ... 11 packets received; 4 packets sent ... do the packets actually reach the target or you just see the ... If you can successfully ping the target, it could be a target server ...
    (comp.os.vxworks)
  • Not able to connect to Device using Platform Builder
    ... have got the EBOOT running till the point that it is broadcasting the BOOTME ... packets and in response expecting to receive the response packets through ... I am able to detect the device in platform builder 5, as I am able to see ... Basic issue I am seeing is that on target, there is no UDP packets received ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • RE: Malformed DNS or something odd (or just me)
    ... There are several different similar types of probes, ... The second UDP port is identical for all probes to any target address. ... - The payloads of the packets generally have IP addresses embedded in them. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Multiple UDP connections in xPC Target?
    ... I wouldn't be so sure that 10 Mbit is fast enough to pass your traffic. ... So, if you send 2 small UDP packets on each time step, and another ... Consider switching to a 100 Mbit LAN card on the target. ... Collect N messages and put them all in the same UDP packet, ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Problem connecting to VxWorks Target Agent
    ... Netmask 0xffff0000 Subnetmask 0xffff0000 ... 11 packets received; 4 packets sent ... Is the ping from the host successful? ... do the packets actually reach the target or you just see the ...
    (comp.os.vxworks)