Re: Why block web hit counters?

On Sep 15, 1:07 pm, Leythos <v...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In article <1189837507.876212.212...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
chil...@xxxxxxxxxxx says...

It is NO different than logging users in my own firewall logs. When a
user visits ANY web site, he or she should expect to have their visits
logged by SOME logging system.

However, I get all kinds of information on web visitors (if
StatCounter logs it). I also get the "referrer", which tells me if
someone clicked on any links from another page to reach me

Your statements contradict yourself.

Your logs are no different than provided by your firewall, but you use a
service that provides different information than your firewall logs...

Well, I just found out another reason why StatCounter and the firewall
logs do not always match. THere are many web-based proxies as well,
which also solves the riddlle of why I get hits from servers on server
colocation centres around the world, and why so many hits from Yahoo
addressed. After doing some investigation, I find that most sites
running PHPProxy are set be default to block the "pings" to sites,
such as StatCounter, that record such information, and that a lot of
these hits coming from server farms all over the place are occurring
during the workday in America.

It appears that to evade even so called "secure" networks, such as
those you say you create, they are paying the costs of colocating a
server at a colocation facility somewhere, and then putting something
like PHPProxy on those machines, and then surfing the net from work,
through those web-based proxies. Becusae its on a server farm, most
filter, like Moe used to mention on here, where his firm blocks all
known residential IP blocks, are not going to catch this, becuase
these web based proxies are located in server colocation facilities,
that are on business-related IP blocks. Though server farms are aimed
towards businesses, they will sell to any indiviual willing to pay the
rather exorbitant monthly charges. And also, many residential IPs are
going not going to be caught, becuase business-level DSL service has
now come down to more sane prices over the past several years. They
are still quite a bit higher than residential services, but business
service with 6 megs download and 768K upload can be had now for as
little as $75 per month, from some American DSL Internet providers,
and even less if you sign up for a one-year term, some companies will
give you such service for as little as $59 per month. This means that
someone could evade a system, like Moe's that blocks known residential
blocks, by getting this new lower-priced business internet service
into their homes.

By default many web proxy programs block hits to web counter and
logging services, and block many cookies, which does, of course, make
it harder for someone to listen to me through Live 365, becuase the
changed the rules last April and prohibited direct links to listen to
third-party players and only allowed linking to the Live 365 web-based
player, from web pages. Of course an astute user can still get the
direct URL for third-party players, and jot that down at home before
leaving for work in the morning. There are a number of programs freely
available on the Net that will monitor your computer's traffic in real
time, and the direct-link IP and port to my Live 365 station (or any
other Live 365 station) can be found fairly quickly. The only caveat
is that if the station is only available to VIP subscription
listeners, this method will not work.

Simply put, someone could, at this very moment, be using one of these
web-based proxies to bypass your filters/firewalls, right under your
nose, and you will have no CLUE as to what they are up to.

  • RE: CEICW-OMA errors
    ... I won't be able to take down the server to do all of this until tomorrow. ... then reproduce the issue by running CEICW again to capture logs. ... Filemon for Windows ... Windows Small Business Server\Support folder to me. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How do I debug HTTP 500 errors?
    ... business with them. ... Are there logs on the server that would give me ... >and see which ports were opened to facilitate the transfer. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: Selling the boss on a "publish to the web" Access app?
    ... Go to www.officelive.com, this free small business edition is only available to North America customers right now however. ... Are the users app specific where certains users can log into that app or have rights to it but not others? ... The person coming in the door that wants to sell new carpets or new desks or a new paint job on the walls or even a new computer has to justify that they're going to save the company money. ... I suppose you could bring in a whole bunch of IT people, and go through all enormous expenses and dangers of security of setting up a web host server. ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: SBS2003 Partitioning
    ... It doesn't matter how small the business is it is a bad practice to sell a workstation for use as a server. ... Businesses come to rely on a server very quickly and within a matter of months may no longer be able to function effectively if the server goes down. ... There is no real advantage to moving the page file from the system partition in a small server with one drive/array, and yes it's a good idea to keep Exchange and SQL on separate partitions but given the size of drive you intend on using probably two partitions, at most three, is your best option. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Fault Tolerence on SBS2003 Prem.
    ... > Too often this topic is approached without defining any scale or costs. ... There is always a compromise involved in any business ... > server equipment that improved the recovery time from an annual event from ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)