Re: Why block web hit counters?

On Sep 14, 1:31 pm, "Sebastian G." <se...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jens Hoffmann wrote:
ALL it does is
record the user's IP, and the time and date of access, and then send
that to StatCounter's computers.

Without explicit consens of the (end-) user this is illegal.

German/European privacy laws don't apply to the entire world... anyway, how
should some statistical information related to a website, at best
machine-identifying but never personally identifying information be
considered a privacy problem in a lawful context?

And German/European laws also DO NOT APPLY to StatCounter, because
their SERVER are in TEXAS, so they are ONLY subject to the laws of the
UNITED STATES and NOT to German laws. I ran the IP number of their
server through a geonalysis service I have, and it comes back that
StatCounter has its servers based in Houston, Texas. Even though they
are an IRISH company, their SERVERS as in TEXAS, making their content
and service ONLY subject to AMERICAN laws. German laws DO NOT APPLY to
content coming out of a SERVER in TEXAS.

  • Re: NSA HARASSMENT, corrected
    ... WESTERN DISTRCIT of TEXAS ... Dan Laws, General Manager/CEO, Rio Grande Electric Cooperative, Inc. ... Plaintiff, Marcus Wayne Roberts, physical address 19308 France Silva ... United States Constitution, Amendment V ...
    (rec.games.chess.politics)
  • Re: draft of lawsuit #2
    ... WESTERN DISTRCIT of TEXAS ... Dan Laws, General Manager/CEO, Rio Grande Electric Cooperative, Inc. ... Plaintiff, Marcus Wayne Roberts, physical address 19308 France Silva ... Plaintiff seeks unspecified damages ...
    (rec.games.chess.politics)
  • Re: ISPs scorn government net snoop plan
    ... British laws DO NOT APPLY in this case. ... It is where the SERVER is located that determins whose laws apply. ... If the host computer is situated in Antigua and the terminal computer is ... in the United Kingdom, it is pertinent to ask who uses the claimed ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Polygamy is a victimless crime
    ... we cannot be assured human laws are right in the eyes of God. ... IT is not clear the community was engaging in criminal behavior other ... DCFS Texas law suit is unprecedented partially because the raid can be ... case why the raid and removal of children from yheir mothers was ...
    (soc.culture.usa)
  • RE: Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking
    ... I do agree that all laws are not fair. ... to trespassing and not B&E. ... Is accessing some server somehwere and poking around really the same as ... will have to deal with aspect of their crime. ...
    (Security-Basics)