Re: Why block web hit counters?

chilly8@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Using a service like StatCounter is NOT unethical. ALL it does is
record the user's IP, and the time and date of access, and then send
that to StatCounter's computers. The big difference is that I get a
complete geolocation analysis on every visit that IS logged there. It
also get information on what operating system was used, and what web
browser the visitor was using. It is NOT unethical for StatCounter for
gather that information and store it on their servers for webmasters
to retrieve later on.

However, it is unethical for the webmaster to annoy the user with things that don't benefit him.

> I am using the PAID version of the service, and expect to get what I paid
> for.

Sure. You get a collection of information from users who are willing to provide them. However, the users are free to not provide them. So you can expect something from SiteCounter (providing the service to you), but not anything from the users (providing their information to StatCounter).

  • Re: Why block web hit counters?
    ... the hits to any web site to show up in StatCounter, for the webmasters ... is NOT going to undermine the network. ... Using a service like StatCounter is NOT unethical. ... expect to get what I paid for. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Why block web hit counters?
    ... that to StatCounter's computers. ... gather that information and store it on their servers for webmasters ... expect to get what I paid for. ... You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Why block web hit counters?
    ... that to StatCounter's computers. ... gather that information and store it on their servers for webmasters ... Ah, but the way that StatCounter operates, the user does not even KNOW ... visitor does not even SEE the web logging service in action. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)