Re: Why block web hit counters?

chilly8@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Using a service like StatCounter is NOT unethical. ALL it does is
record the user's IP, and the time and date of access, and then send
that to StatCounter's computers. The big difference is that I get a
complete geolocation analysis on every visit that IS logged there. It
also get information on what operating system was used, and what web
browser the visitor was using. It is NOT unethical for StatCounter for
gather that information and store it on their servers for webmasters
to retrieve later on.

However, it is unethical for the webmaster to annoy the user with things that don't benefit him.

> I am using the PAID version of the service, and expect to get what I paid
> for.

Sure. You get a collection of information from users who are willing to provide them. However, the users are free to not provide them. So you can expect something from SiteCounter (providing the service to you), but not anything from the users (providing their information to StatCounter).
.