Re: Port 1028 in Win XP Pro - do I need an external router?

Mary Sunshine wrote:
I am running a single computer, Compaq Presario R4025CA, with a
broadband (cable) connection under Win XP Pro. I just use the XP
firewall.
When I go to grc.com and use their ShieldsUp, they tell me that my
port 1028 is wide open. I am concerned about intrusions. I can't find
any way to close this port under Win XP. Is there one?

Recheck using some other firewall test.

For example, you can use http://nmap-online.com/

To check port 1028, select custom scan, and for your IP from this header command should look something like this

-sS -sU -P0 -p 1028 66.102.80.103

Do I need to get a hardware firewall (router)?

Router is a good idea.

  • Re: block port ???
    ... "its not very port specific"...I run xp pro, and worry about this, even ... > could enable the built in firewall, but its not very port specific ...
  • Re: remote access and printing 5 computers
    ... Google it and you can ... learn how to make it go through the firewall. ... Just have to port forward ... Hadn't considered that, they are a mixture of 2 Home and 4 Pro, probalby ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • ShieldsUp Reports Port 443 Open
    ... Suite 2006 and set up its firewall. ... ShieldsUp reported everything ok except for port 443's being open. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • anybody know the port # that remote works through
    ... I am using windows xp pro. ... I want to check to make sure that my firewall is not stopping traffic for remote desktop. ... looking for port # and and anything else that could be blocking the connection. ...