Re: Netscreen 100 + Zyxel Zywall 10

Jens Hoffmann wrote:

Huh? I thought it was just a LAN connection from your connecting device
direct to the untrusted port on the Netscreen.

It is.

I was just going to put my router into 'Modem' mode (where it doesn't use
its inbuilt firewall and just lets all traffic through), connect it to
the untrusted port on the Netscreen and set it up to do all the firewall
policies.

You do not have an authentication on our internet line? Then it'll work
fine. (Thought you mentioned ADSL, here you have to authenticate with
pppoe, when using ADSL, in .at it's pppoa, IIRC).

Cheers,
Jens

Sorry, yes we do have authentication on the line. It uses pppoa here.

I just assumed that because of the LAN connection being an untrusted RJ45
connection, it would connect to whatever network appliance you use to
connect to the internet (in my case a Netgear DG632 ADSL Router, but I
thought it could be connected to potentially anything).

If I let the Netgear ADSL router handle the internet authentication and
connection, and just put it into 'dumb mode' where it will let all traffic
pass from its internal connection directly to the untrusted port on the
Netscreen, can I just put the Netscreen into a mode where it will accept
this traffic and deal with it? Or am I mistaking how things work with the
Netscreen, and it in itself has to be connected directly to the wall and
neogatiate the connection itself?

Vinnie

  • Re: Home-Lan question
    ... > I've got a little home-lan, composed by two PCs. ... there's a worse problem related to NAT connection: ... > Unfortunately I can make a server visible from the internet only on PC1. ... > Since my adsl router doesn't have hardware authentication ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Network timeout problem
    ... I am connected to the internet via an adsl router - as are two other ... computers don't do this - which means no router or internet problem. ... Gateway..Internet Connection' do? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • SnapGear firewall, ADSL router and backup ISDN router
    ... I would like to re-use an ISDN router to setup a failover connection to the ... if the ADSL router - Internet connection fail. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • [SLE] Internet via ADSL router and via dial up possible on same system?
    ... My notebook needs to get connected to the Internet via an ADSL router when I'm ... However when I travel I use an Internet dial up connection (kinternet or ... But that does not work when the default gateway is still set to the ...
    (SuSE)
  • T1 ...,
    ... t1 internet connection ... price of t1 ...
    (rec.org.sca)