Re: BIG PROBLEM - with firewalls sudden reboot

a wrote:

I have an adsl modem/router (usRobotics 9112)

When surfing the web, very often it happens Windows instantly reboots

- it happens on the very same sites,
- it happens every 4-5 sites, expecially "heavy" sites
with javascript, flash, activex...
- the sites I visit are secure, because they are istitutional,
magazines sites...).
- I have no javascript, flash, activex, animation, audio....
activated, nothing at all.

- If I go with an old 56 kb analogic modem all is ok

----------------

I am with Windows98se

I notice that if I disabled my software firewall Norton 2002
there is no problem.

So I was sure it was a Norton 2002 firewall problem,
and tried six (=6) other firewalls
(OutPost, panda, zoneAlarm, atguard....)
but always had the problem,
so I don't think it is a software firewall problem.

---------------

What to do?

I phoned Robotics and they said it is not a modem problem.

you say it's ok with the 56k (dial up).

USB DSL/ADSL modems do have an issue, i've often heard of people with
them losing their net connection and restarting windows.. It may help
to reinstall its drivers. You could bypass the thing by using a 'home
router' instead of the usb dsl modem.

I don't know if usb cable modems that that issue. But yours is ADSL,
that's common.

A google shows that the router you mentioned is a USB or Ethernet
router/modem. You didn't say that.
You could stick an ethernet PCI card in your computer, and not use the
USB aspect of your router, maybe even uninstall the usb router/modem
drivers.

It's unfortunate that unlike win xp. Win98SE doesn't come with a
firewall. But if you use Volker's program
http://www.dingens.org/index.html.en you won't need a firewall
Either way, you won't be saved from a browser getting exploited.

Try the Opera browser

  • Re: New modem and iptables...
    ... The router performs firewall and NAT functions ... If you want to persuade me it's a modem, ... it's a router and _it_ has your public Internet address. ... It also does NAT (otherwise you couldn't have a private IP address on ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Connecting a USB Modem to an Internet Router
    ... I need all of the USB ports on my laptop for peripherals. ... Demon do not provide a NON-USB modem. ... The Linksys WRT54GS-UK router comes with RJ45 ports only. ...
  • Re: Connecting a USB Modem to an Internet Router
    ... The Speedtouch 330 USB-modem was provided as a package deal by Demon. ... I need all of the USB ports on my laptop for peripherals. ... Demon do not provide a NON-USB modem. ... The Linksys WRT54GS-UK router comes with RJ45 ports only. ...
  • Re: Connecting a USB Modem to an Internet Router
    ... The Speedtouch 330 USB-modem was provided as a package deal by Demon. ... I need all of the USB ports on my laptop for peripherals. ... Demon do not provide a NON-USB modem. ... The Linksys WRT54GS-UK router comes with RJ45 ports only. ...
  • Re: New modem and iptables...
    ... The router performs firewall and NAT functions ... If you want to persuade me it's a modem, ... Once it's doing authentication, despite what Dlink asserts, it's no longer a modem, it's a router and _it_ has your public Internet address. ... It also does NAT. ...
    (Fedora)