Re: BIG PROBLEM - with firewalls sudden reboot
I have an adsl modem/router (usRobotics 9112)
When surfing the web, very often it happens Windows instantly reboots
- it happens on the very same sites,
- it happens every 4-5 sites, expecially "heavy" sites
- the sites I visit are secure, because they are istitutional,
activated, nothing at all.
- If I go with an old 56 kb analogic modem all is ok
I am with Windows98se
I notice that if I disabled my software firewall Norton 2002
there is no problem.
So I was sure it was a Norton 2002 firewall problem,
and tried six (=6) other firewalls
(OutPost, panda, zoneAlarm, atguard....)
but always had the problem,
so I don't think it is a software firewall problem.
What to do?
I phoned Robotics and they said it is not a modem problem.
you say it's ok with the 56k (dial up).
USB DSL/ADSL modems do have an issue, i've often heard of people with
them losing their net connection and restarting windows.. It may help
to reinstall its drivers. You could bypass the thing by using a 'home
router' instead of the usb dsl modem.
I don't know if usb cable modems that that issue. But yours is ADSL,
A google shows that the router you mentioned is a USB or Ethernet
router/modem. You didn't say that.
You could stick an ethernet PCI card in your computer, and not use the
USB aspect of your router, maybe even uninstall the usb router/modem
It's unfortunate that unlike win xp. Win98SE doesn't come with a
firewall. But if you use Volker's program
http://www.dingens.org/index.html.en you won't need a firewall
Either way, you won't be saved from a browser getting exploited.
Try the Opera browser
- Prev by Date: Re: What The H*** is This?
- Next by Date: what firewall/security network configurations do techies tend to have?
- Previous by thread: Re: BIG PROBLEM - with firewalls sudden reboot
- Next by thread: Re: BIG PROBLEM - with firewalls sudden reboot