Re: Usenet allowed from work?

In article <f87g0p$8tl$1@xxxxxxxx>, Chilly8 <chilly8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Leythos" <void@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:MPG.21110ae483f355ce989808@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's illegal to violate company security policy in many states/countries
and does get people fired.

Fired, yes, but it is NOT a CRIMINAL offence, unless you do
something like illegally break someone's password to do it.

Wrong.

USA: Computer Fraud and Abuse Statutes, Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 47
section 1030

(a) Whoever--
(4) knowing and with intent to defraud, accesses a protected
computer without authorization, or exceeds authorized access, and
by means of such conduct furthers the intended fraud and obtains
anything of value [...]

Note: use of a telecommunication service to receive information -would-
be considered a "thing of value".

Note: if you haven't been authorized to access arbitrary outside
services, e.g., if you have violated a company security policy, then
that falls under "exceeds authorized access".

Canada: Canada Criminal Code (C-46)
342.1(1) Every one who, fraudulently and without colour of right,
(a) obtains, directly or indirectly, any computer service

If you read the whole of the Canada Computer Security Act, you will
find that the key to the act is whether permission for the access
was obtained *in advance*. In Canada, there is NO defence for
"innocent infringement", NO defence for "I thought it would be okay"
or "I didn't realize that there was an actual law about it!": in
Canada, if you access a computer and you didn't get explicit permission
-before- the attempt to use the computer in that particular way, then you
have likely violated the Canada Criminal Code.
.