Re: Usenet allowed from work?

In article <eesan4-ofn.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Jamin Davis <jamin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What about a more liberal approach -- I've worked for/with several companies
and netradio was not seen as a problem; actually I remember one company
that specifically promoted it even though the netops (or myself in a couple
of cases!) couldn't be bothered setting it up properly. In the end only a
tiny few have the know-how so the idea that 100s of employees are gonna sit
there all day listening to radio is unlikely.

In our ISP configuration before our present one, we -did- find
that people listening to internet radio was pushing up our costs
noticably.

In another branch of the same department, they had to come down
heavy on people because the excess bandwidth charges for internet
radio were adding over $3000 per month to the bill.

One person is shown how to do it by their kid at home, they show
other people how to do it, the bandwidth adds up.

If it really becomes a bandwidth
issue let the individuals concerned pay for the extra bandwidth

It wasn't worth the book-keeping involved, having HQ create the
appropriate financial codes, doing the monitoring, creating
reports, having those reports translated into invoices, getting
the unions to agree that if the amount wasn't paid in a reasonable
time that it could be docked from pay, making the arrangements with
the payroll department, etc., etc..

The branch I work for are definitely not policy ogres, but
we couldn't afford not to block internet radio.

  • Re: Sneaking past firewalls: ssh on port 23 or 80?
    ... >> just to bypass the technical limits of a single IP address and NAT. ... I was feeling some empathy for you until you mentioned internet radio. ... Why should your employer have to pay for your bandwidth to listen to ... impossible to accomplish complex actions. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Sneaking past firewalls: ssh on port 23 or 80?
    ... > save bandwidth at the same time by proxying/caching some internet radio ... dialup to broadcast internet radio. ... real bandwidth connect to it and run it's own server. ... This is all very easy to do using icecast or shoutcast mp3 streaming ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: HD radio wont just go away.
    ... internet radio because they're going send HD radio into the ... That's a heck of a "huge swatch" of spectrum. ... the AM allocation. ... consider that the bandwidth will be used by thousands or more users. ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • Re: HD radio wont just go away.
    ... but I fully support Wimax and ... internet radio because they're going send HD radio into the ... That's a heck of a "huge swatch" of spectrum. ... consider that the bandwidth will be used by thousands or more users. ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)