Re: Port function and scanning

NoSpam wrote:

A Symantec scan has recently shown that all my ports are secure,
except the "ping" port, whatever that means.
and you replied:
Yes, that shows exactly what to think about this POS.
Now I still do not know what to think and I also do not know what a
POS is.

"pile of shit"

You advised me to use
That's why I recommended <http://linux-sec.net/Audit/nmap.test.gwif.html>.
This is more or less an interactive web service for Nmap, even though
it's a little bit outdated.
This service however requires me to install nmap,

No, it doesn't. Why do you think so? This service offer you an online port
scan with Nmap, by your command line (with some filtering) as input and the
full Nmap output as the output.

  • Re: Random unprivileged TCP ports below 5000 kind-of open for a fraction of a second
    ... When Nmap (or many ... > other applications, such as Telnet) does a connectcall, the OS is ... > supposed to choose a good souce port to bind to for the connection. ... I saw a familiar "Connection reset by peer" every time the random port ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Yes, trying to hack a remote control
    ... I attempted a telnet into that port, and it asked for a username/pass, ... and then upload a modified firmware to the remote. ... The latest versions of nmap have a feature whereby you can run scans ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: how nmap can know my firewalled servers ?
    ... UDP or ICMP protocol), it will mark the port as closed. ... descrition, how NMAP determins, if the UDP port is open or closed. ... Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprisefor 30 days for FREE with no ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: FW: baby pen-test question
    ... I ALWAYS do an nmap sweep of varying degrees. ... As for testing a large network, I primarily base my efforts on the mission ... My first question is about port scanning. ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Help understanding NMAP results
    ... >to do with IT) but I have been playing with old computers and Linux in my ... and is set to default DROP any packets ... Went over to a friend's house, and ran an NMAP scan against myself ... You could listen on that port and see what traffic is passing when you ...
    (Security-Basics)