Re: Port function and scanning

NoSpam wrote:

Better scan yourself, i.e. using nmap. Port scanning web services are
b0rken by concept, because they cannot determine, if your machine has
open ports or if the network in between modifies traffic

I am not familiar with programming and related tasks.

Well, if you're not, then you should not fiddle around with network-related
tasks. Pay a competent service for doing so.

A Symantec scan has recently shown that all my parts are secure, except
the "ping" port, whatever that means.

Yes, that shows exactly what to think about this POS.

Your advice to use nmap seems to be a good one and I would like
to use it. There is however a learning curve involved. Before I climb
it, I would like to make sure nmap will serve my purpose. I have a
stand alone PC connected to the net through an ISP. Can I use such
a configuration to scan my own ports?

Now even that should be clear to someone with almost no networking
experience: No. Scanning involves sending requests and receiving replies,
now that's where you need a second machine (or someone carefully bouncing
all traffic forth and pack, but you won't any such machine).

That's why I recommended <http://linux-sec.net/Audit/nmap.test.gwif.html>.
This is more or less an interactive web service for Nmap, even though it's a
little bit outdated.

  • Re: 2 pc network - cant see host files from pc 2 on pc 1
    ... Assuming that you have firewall protection via your internet router try ... workgroup because it will be needed for the network to work correctly. ... see if you can access TCP ports 139 and 445 on computer one of which at ... permissions. ...
  • Re: PC Tools Firewall Question
    ... So, it's to be assumed that the two machines that are connected to your router, the LAN or Local Area Network, are never to share resources or network between the two, which are the ports you're blocking below with the PFW. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Setting up Remote Desktop web connection in winxp mce to work
    ... Its possible her office network admins are blocking the outgoing ports. ... Also check to see your using the correct public IP for your router and make sure the router is configured to disable remote management. ... > anyway to test the remote connection, other than trying to connection> from ...
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Linux - Indicators of compromise
    ... "Integrity is compromised, service downtime". ... I think Scott you work on network where is has at max 5 Cat 2950s as ... 10 has 2U servers and is each server has 4 network ports. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Identification of non Cisco APs
    ... I would guess that most of these access points would have ports 80 ... You could do this with nmap, ... you should be able to identify what they are from the Server: ... network (which would be the case if they are a home router/firewall/ap ...
    (Pen-Test)