Re: Port function and scanning

Dear Volker,

Thank you for your attention to my post.

You wrote:
Better scan yourself, i.e. using nmap. Port scanning web services are
b0rken by concept, because they cannot determine, if your machine has
open ports or if the network in between modifies traffic

I am not familiar with programming and related tasks. I have been
burned recently by malware and want to make sure it does not
happen again.

A Symantec scan has recently shown that all my parts are secure, except
the "ping" port, whatever that means.

Your advice to use nmap seems to be a good one and I would like
to use it. There is however a learning curve involved. Before I climb
it, I would like to make sure nmap will serve my purpose. I have a
stand alone PC connected to the net through an ISP. Can I use such
a configuration to scan my own ports?

Greetings and thanks
GR.

"Volker Birk" <bumens@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
NoSpam <NoSpam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. Is there a good internet document describing ports, their
function and role, particularly for the windows OS?

Ports are a concept being part of the TCP/IP protocol family. This has
nothing to do with Windows. Just read the RFCs, or try Richard Stevens'
"UNIX Network Programming".

You could start here, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP

2. Are there trustworthy port scanning services available?

Better scan yourself, i.e. using nmap. Port scanning web services are
b0rken by concept, because they cannot determine, if your machine has
open ports or if the network in between modifies traffic.

Yours,
VB.
--
"Es muss darauf geachtet werden, dass das Grundgesetz nicht mit Methoden
geschützt wird, die seinem Ziel und seinem Geist zuwider sind."

Gustav Heinemann, "Freimütige Kritik und demokratischer Rechtsstaat"

.