Re: Is there a risk with firewalls?

In article <48Tdi.3607$lY5.851@trnddc07>, NoSpam@xxxxxxxxxxx says...
Dear Group,

I am asking a question regarding the time interval after startup of a PC and
the
time the firewall becomes effective.

The details are briefly as follows:

On my PC the startup contains the following sequence: first the DSL connect
is
started up, followed by my firewall. There is a gap in time between the two,
which
is being used to deposit a Trojan onto my system. The Trojan is detected by
my
Antivirus program and can be removed.

Question: Should a firewall not become effective BEFORE any connection to
the
internet is opened?? If this is true, are there any firewalls which will do
just that?

Thanks for any help

Why don't you have a NAT router between your internet service and your
PC?

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  • Re: Re Post No Answer before. Need Help Re: Startup items
    ... "Sonic", updates from HP, updates for Real Audio, updates ... go into msconfig and then the startup menu and uncheck programs. ... > Windows is not the only product you likely have on your PC. ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Windows Firewall
    ... does not work try disabling startup items. ... ipsec service or Windows Firewall service if you are not running SP2.. ... The router could be the problem if it is blocking ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Windows Firewall
    ... Anything related to an "internet security" package would be a start. ... disabling all the startup items first because if that does not fix the ... does not work try disabling startup items. ... ipsec service or Windows Firewall service if you are not running SP2.. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Windows Firewall
    ... So you are saying that when you use msconfig in selective startup and you ... does not work try disabling startup items. ... ipsec service or Windows Firewall service if you are not running SP2.. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Re Post No Answer before. Need Help Re: Startup items
    ... > programs I had unchecked in startup. ... Windows Update ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... I see that AntiVirus software is an absolute necessity given ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)