Re: Defending yourself against Nazi IT departments

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 15:58:30 GMT, Bogwitch
<Bogwitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1. IT security is *NOT* an IT function. It is a security function.

In most organizations it is IT that handles the security function.

True. It doesn't make it right.

Huh?

In most organizations 'security' doesn't mean the IT department, it
means the folks who look after opening and closing the building at
night. The folks who look after keys and passcards etc. The last $100
million company I worked at had a system of passcards that gave you
access only to certain floors and only during certain times of day.
This had the negative feature that with the restrooms in the common
area one often had to take the elevator down to the ground floor
before returning to your floor when working late. The alternative was
to put a small block in the door to hold it open which obviously was
frowned on by the security department.

Since then I haven't worked in any office with more than two floors so
am not really up on the current technology but none of the folks
referred to above worked in the IT department.

  • Re:[fw-wiz] Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)
    ... of folks are using stuff that isn't working well. ... Working harder on it may not make it better. ... >>fundamental security core of their OS. ... >the typical corporate network? ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Yonder Mountain String Band(ndc)
    ... If necessary call security over to alleviate the problem. ... folks at our shows are respectful and mean no harm, ... but people were throwing stuff at Phil and Joan a week ago ... flung a water bottle that wizzed by Joan's head; ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: Security rankings
    ... DoE, DoD, NSF, etc. do this all of the time. ... government agency, do sponsor critiques of itself, this is true. ... And how do you think you are talking to with the "MS Folks" stuff? ... I know for a fact that people have reported security holes to MS. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: What do you call...
    ... security folks ... Security folks ... Sysprogs ... Application programmers ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: TSA and Airline Security (some relevant carry-on guitar content)
    ... Steve Hawkins2/9/06 20:27 ... You saw that screener ... folks all day and they've have heard it all. ... responsibility and security accountability. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)