Re: NAT Router

What makes you think that it removed all malware from your computer? A good malware comes in packages: the good stuff is well hidden somewhere and knows how to circumvent the software firewall while it also some primitive malware bundled which may be detected quickly. The user thinks the firewall blocks everything and the malware removal tool reports something removed.

I guess you are using an AV and PFW and the trojan still got past all this. Either you know that you have installed it with some software or it must be fairly good to get past AV and PFW. Malware designed to get past AV and PFW onto the computer will not be that easy detected except for some part for diversion. The only really secure thing to do would be to reformat the drive and reinstall windows.

Gerald

I continued to scan my system with different antivirus, antispyware and anti-Trojan software and couldn't find additional problems. I also noted that there were no more attempts by unknown software to establish outbound connections. I guess it's possible that there was still malware on the system, but I didn't think so for the above reasons, plus the computer continued to be stable and normal in every perceivable way and that was good enough for me.

As far as how the Trojan got on my computer, remember that firewall software would not block it being downloaded. The only initial protection was antivirus which apparently missed it, but that's not so unusual. It was a few years ago when this happened and then it was the norm for antivirus software to update only once or twice a week. That left a window of a few days when new viruses (or Trojans) were invisible could easily infect systems. There's also the fact that even the best antivirus software does not detect 100% of all viruses. That's why a multilayered defense is necessary(and I think personal firewall software is one of those layers).

In the course of doing my job I have often had to clean computers that have been infected with viruses/Trojans/spyware. It's been my experience that the computers can be restored to normal functioning in most cases. A combination of multiple antivirus and antispyware scans does a very good job of removing malware. I only remember one case where the computer was so badly infected it was unrecoverable. It got that way because the user neglected to update the subscription for his antivirus - it hadn't had new "signatures" for many months.

  • Re: unable to open websites in browser(s)
    ... i use HijackThis to scan for BHOs and Malware. ... You are using a seriously obsolete antivirus. ... I would not recommend using that firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Win Firewall off briefly
    ... Sorry to be so wordy, but this may be the last I can try to assist you becuase from what I've read in your post, you are dismally protected from malware due to the way you use the computer and a lack of facilities to keep Security levels in place. ... I can even see the possibility now that the off/on of the firewall could be a game controlling the firewall and exposing one or several or all ports to the public. ... And since it's a media center machine, only recover it using the mfr's instructions or you could lose the media center features. ... Go to the MS support web stie and get the instructions and preps and requirements for installing SP3. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Internet Security Problems - I dont know how to fix
    ... It's possible you have malware. ... it might have affected your firewall settings. ... Looking at the General tab, ...
  • Re: Recurrent question
    ... >> PFW, anti-virus, spam filter. ... Some people have installed a PFW which has ... >If the malware is not written too dumb, ... how exactly a "Personal Firewall" looks ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Unwanted Reboots
    ... viruses etc will attempt to stop your AntiVirus and ... the Norton CD to run a virus scan, I know it's possible for Utilities. ... > I suspect malware or virus in this case. ... > www.agnitum.com - Outpost Personal Firewall ...