Re: Linksys WRT54G and Firewall software
- From: Gerald Vogt <vogt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:43:57 +0900
1) You don't need a personal firewall when you are behind a NAT device
that provides a private network without anything port forwarded.
3) The windows non-firewall included in XP SP2 will be more than enough,
but, if you take your laptop to other networks (school, work, friends) it
won't be enough in most cases.
That is not conclusive: The NAT does block (most) incoming connections. The XP SP2 firewall does block all (most) incoming connections when configured with no exceptions.
Where is the difference which explains why something else then the XP SP2 FW is needed elsewhere?
4) If you use your laptop on OTHER networks you really need to learn how
to check the Windows TCP/IP Settings, disable File/Printer sharing when
you are not home, and how to adjust/check the Windows XP SP2 non-firewall
settings for "Exceptions".
Again contradictory to 3): if you think you need something else than the XP SP2 firewall in other networks and you are running a other brand "non-firewall" software then the recommendation should be to check that the XP SP2 firewall is turned off and the 3rd party "non-firewall" is on. Two or more firewalls running on a computer result on average in less security then a single one as it is unpredicted what actually is blocked and what not and by which firewall which will jeopardize the consistency of and state table in any firewall (as they are generally stateful).
5) More important than a firewall, when behind a NAT router, is the
Antivirus software and your security methods - like not running as an
Administrator (best to run as a limited user), installing Fire Fox, not
using Outlook Express or Outlook if you use POP3 for email....
Most important to keep your system up-to-date and reduce the number of software on your computer. The less software you are running the less is vulnerable. The less software the less you have to check for updates manually if it does not come with automatic updates. Subscribe to some good security notification lists like the one from Microsoft or US-Cert. Then you get timely notification of updates and you can update very quickly.
If you do all this you are very likely that your AntiVirus will never ever report anything relevant and thus will prove itself superfluous.
- Prev by Date: Re: Linksys WRT54G and Firewall software
- Next by Date: Re: Linksys WRT54G and Firewall software
- Previous by thread: Re: Linksys WRT54G and Firewall software
- Next by thread: Re: Linksys WRT54G and Firewall software