Re: Win xp sp2 firewall

Gerald Vogt wrote:
Leythos wrote:

In all but one case where I've visited people using ZA/ZAP or other PFW
(not Windows XP SP2 FW), they've all been uncompromised and that includes
the people with several computers and no NAT router.

What I have just forgotten: How do you actually know that the computers where uncompromised? The PFW stops the dumb malware which is easy to detect. The good malware is much harder to find and sits there with or without the PFW...

This is to ridiculous. It's as if this person is under the assumption that he is the only one that knows anything. <g>

How does anyone know anything about possible malware running on the machine that's undetected? Well, they use other tools and don't lean on a PFW and Application Control in them like a crutch and he or she looks from time to time.

<http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html>

  • Re: Win xp sp2 firewall
    ... the people with several computers and no NAT router. ... The PFW stops the dumb malware which is easy to detect. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: error message referenced memory XXX 000.. talked to my hardwar
    ... me off - and that's reasonable as he has computers to do. ... Start process: string idiom as follows: REFERENCED MEMORY COULD NOT BE ... exact quote of the error message. ... Do a thorough check for malware following all of the steps at one of these ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Virus protection suggestions?
    ... for both computers, if you use them at the same time. ... Th fourth line is a malware scanner. ... Other useful steps are to run your browser with javascript turned off ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Ping: John Holmes
    ... government and consumer computers around the world were infected by the malware. ... These cybercriminals established a vast affiliation network across the Web to successfully distribute and operate their malware install-base. ... Since the discovery of its findings, Finjan has provided US and UK law enforcement with information about the server. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Network of 1.9 Million Malware-Infected Computers Controlled by Cybercriminals
    ... government and consumer computers around the world were infected by the malware. ... These cybercriminals established a vast affiliation network across the Web to successfully distribute and operate their malware install-base. ... Since the discovery of its findings, Finjan has provided US and UK law enforcement with information about the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)