Re: Win xp sp2 firewall

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:16:05 -0400, Laura25 wrote:

Hi,

Could you tell me if win xp sp2 firewall is good enough to protect my
computer. I have use in the past Zone Alarm but it just slow dowm way to
much my computer.

Thanks for your advice

Windows XP SP2 fireall is the last resort - it has one serious flaw - if
you run as a local administrator, and most people do, it allows programs
and services to create holes (exceptions) in it. Also, if you normally
share files/printers, it will default to allowing File/Printer sharing,
which also greatly exposes you.

I consider XP Sp2 firewall to be about worthless in most settings unless
you run as a limited user, check for exceptions and remove all of them,
and check this daily.

I've seen machines where the users have been compromised many times using
XP SP2 firewall that switched to ZAP and were not compromised again.

--
Leythos
spam999free@xxxxxxxxxx (remove 999 for proper email address)

  • Re: Win xp sp2 firewall
    ... and services to create holes (exceptions) in it. ... I consider XP Sp2 firewall to be about worthless in most settings unless ... you run as a limited user, check for exceptions and remove all of them, ... XP SP2 firewall that switched to ZAP and were not compromised again. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Win xp sp2 firewall
    ... Could you tell me if win xp sp2 firewall is good enough to protect my ... I have use in the past Zone Alarm but it just slow dowm way to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)