Re: Looking for a Firewall for a Small Business

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message <1168191168.016503.24790@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"Bryan" <BTRichardson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've got a friend who owns a small business. He's got some employees
that like to surf the web a bit too much and wants to limit their
access to only a few sites. However, each employee needs to access
different sites, so the typical parental control feature doesn't work
so well. I've been trying to find him a firewall solution that will
allow him to specify rules specific to IP addresses (similar to ACLs in
a PIX I guess...), but all the router/VPN/firewall appliances I've
looked at (such as Linksys, D-Link, etc) seem to want to do URL/domain
limiting on a network-wide basis rather than based on IP. Short of me
creating a custom Linux firewall solution, does anyone know of a
product that would meet his needs? He doesn't need VPN, so finding
something without the VPN option would be great.

m0n0wall or pfSense would both do the trick.

I'd add Bering Leaf uCLibc to the list, which has the advantage that it's superbly supported.

Jim Ford

  • Re: Looking for a Firewall for a Small Business
    ... that like to surf the web a bit too much and wants to limit their ... each employee needs to access ... I've been trying to find him a firewall solution that will ... something without the VPN option would be great. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Looking for a Firewall for a Small Business
    ... He's got some employees ... each employee needs to access ... I've been trying to find him a firewall solution that will ... something without the VPN option would be great. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Looking for a Firewall for a Small Business
    ... each employee needs to access ... I've been trying to find him a firewall solution that will ... these clients to an alias group. ... this unless you want alot of time consuming tasks to take up. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)