Re: Zone Alarm vs Kerio Firewall

On 12/23/2006 10:39 AM, something possessed Scott to write:
I'm using the free Zone Alarm v2.6.362 as a firewall on my Win95, 98, and XP computers on my home wireless Linksys network. I'm testing a
trial version of the new Kerio Firewall by Counterspy on my XP laptop.
The interface is a little confusing, as far as understanding what it's
accomplishing. Can anyone give me an opinion as to how much better
Kerio performs as a firewall, compared to Zone Alarm?

Thanks!
Scott
I've used both, and in my opinion, Kerio is the better product (but I think ZA takes less resources, though I could be mistaking). With Kerio, eve though it's a "trial" version, it is free after the 30 days are up, you just lose web-content filtering (which I don't even use with AdblockPlus and FF). Some neat things I like about Kerio that ZA doesn't have are: an integrated utility similar to sysinternals TCPMon, and internal monitoring that ZA doesn't provide such as alerts when a process has recently changed or when a process is doing something to another process. Also, with Kerio, you can set port access rules in addition to Program-access rules. Anyway, I hope this helps.

  • Re: Agnitum Outpost FW users?
    ... > opinion of the product? ... please share your opinions about this firewall. ... I am a bit used to Kerio, ... considering switching to Outpost. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Microsoft Windows Firewall
    ... > difference if you uninstall the PFW? ... > and it is thus not any more just my opinion. ... Try upgrading to Kerio 4... ... > experiences with many computers from many people. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: XP pro
    ... We have heard your opinion, ... for whatever reasons they may have? ... > I do not share Fefe's opinion not to run Windows at all. ... Please provide proof where Kerio Personal Firewall was unable ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Zone Alarm vs Kerio Firewall
    ... trial version of the new Kerio Firewall by Counterspy on my XP laptop. ... Kerio performs as a firewall, ... Also, with Kerio, you can set port access rules in ... You don't think ZA is a resource hog? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Agnitum Outpost FW users?
    ... >> opinion of the product? ... I am a bit used to Kerio, ... > considering switching to Outpost. ... I just purchased Outpost Pro 2.1 last night and am very happy with it so ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)