Re: Your thoughts on my network security.

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 23:36:25 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk
<seppi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Osiris wrote:

cut&paste don't always work with passwords....

It does.

you haven't seen much of the ICT world then...

Too bad that I manage all my passwords via copy&paste. Especially in my
local machine. I wonder why exactly copy&paste shouldn't work there...

You don't have state secrets on your machine, do you ?

What's that stupid question supposed to mean?

I have to spell everything ?

You're imposing something like "oh, it's not so important, maybe you should
leave away some security measures". This is blatantly dangerous. A proper
attitude would be to always practice and use the same strong security
mechanisms regardless of the situation - thus you'll never have to think
about if it's actually worth it, but therefore you can't make any wrong
decision towards weaker security.

bull
limiting factors are, amongst others:
1: price,
2: effort to be invested
3: knowledge to be acquired
4: value of data
5: time = money
To ignore these factors is blatantly stupid.

  • Re: Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...
    ... I will provide a disclaimer up front that I work in the security field, but I design security protocols and OS security I learn from osmosis from my colleagues. ... Linux install is NOT as bad as say XP install where you can get owned DURING the install if you are connected. ... I am quite contrary on passwords and password strengths. ... First configure your local firewall so that all inbound ports are closed and only open those that you have evidence that you need (what local servers ARE you running? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: OT: disabling APIs to prevent keystroke logging
    ... I have googled keylogging but there's a ton of info a mostly ads. ... I've dealt with security issues in my work as a software ... Researcher refutes Microsoft's account of hijacked Hotmail passwords ... passwords were obtained in a massive phishing attack. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • RE: passwords in asp pages
    ... and using integrated security for connecting to the database- this will ... remove cleartext passwords from the files. ... grab the raw asp source from the server. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Oh Dear, Where to start?!
    ... > sort of security solution? ... > use, passwords, physical security, backup/disaster ... > admin, network admin, tech support, programming, and ... Theres lots of software out there for backups. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Filezillas silent caching of users credentials
    ... the security hassles you're going through are all useless. ... With regards to the handcuffs example, ... limiting access to the passwords file in the first place. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)